Labeling Wire with the Brothers PT-1400 TZ Labeler

I was just in our local electrical store searching for outlet boxes and the like. I noticed an interesting (Dymo) label machine for sale at the front desk. Didn't ask the price, but it looked expensive, especially in the electrical specialty store. Afterwards, I went to Staples and found a Brothers labeler for $100 with a $50 rebate that looked quite similar.

My interest is mostly in labeling computer cables. I've used colored electrical tape at times, but a ring-link wrap of tape starts to come apart fairly quickly. The unit has various widths and a heavy duty (TZ) adhesive tape. Has anyone had experience with these devices.

Wayne T. Watson (Watson Adventures, Prop., Nevada City, CA) (121.015 Deg. W, 39.262 Deg. N) GMT-8 hr std. time) Obz Site: 39° 15' 7" N, 121° 2' 32" W, 2700 feet

'I think it not improbable that man, like the grub that prepares a chamber for the winged thing it has never seen but is to be, may have... destinies that he does not understand." -- Oliver Wendell Holmes

--
                     Web Page:
Reply to

I've used a P-Touch labeler for years -- I like it a lot better than the Brady Wire Marker I have that was intended for the purpose.

I apply the labels along the wire, then cover them with transparent packing tape. Or I apply the label like a flag and stick it over to itself. Both of these methods work well, and are a lot cheaper and more flexible than the Brady device.

W. Wats> My interest is mostly in labeling computer cables. I've used colored

Reply to
Mike Berger

Hi!

Yes. I have used one of the Brother P-Touch models for labeling many different things, including computer cables. It works pretty well, although heat beyond that of "normal" or even "high" room temperature seems to cause problems with the adhesive backing.

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh

That may not be so good for me then. I have a fair amount of my computer eqpt in a small building that can get very warm in our summers, and it has no air conditionin.

Wayne T. Watson (Watson Adventures, Prop., Nevada City, CA) (121.015 Deg. W, 39.262 Deg. N) GMT-8 hr std. time) Obz Site: 39° 15' 7" N, 121° 2' 32" W, 2700 feet

'I think it not improbable that man, like the grub that prepares a chamber for the winged thing it has never seen but is to be, may have... destinies that he does not understand." -- Oliver Wendell Holmes

--
                     Web Page:
Reply to
W. Watson

Reply to
Mike Berger

The best choice would be 3M transparent scotch tape? I think I estimated the cost of a label would be about 10 center/inch. Is that about right?

Wayne T. Watson (Watson Adventures, Prop., Nevada City, CA) (121.015 Deg. W, 39.262 Deg. N) GMT-8 hr std. time) Obz Site: 39° 15' 7" N, 121° 2' 32" W, 2700 feet

'I think it not improbable that man, like the grub that prepares a chamber for the winged thing it has never seen but is to be, may have... destinies that he does not understand." -- Oliver Wendell Holmes

--
                     Web Page:
Reply to
W. Watson

If you are making up your own cables the best solution is to apply the label lengthwise and use thinwall clear heatshrink tubing to protect it. Of course, for cables already terminated that isn't an option.

or similar

Reply to
Ross Herbert

Hi!

The good news is that while the adhesive has gotten soft, I haven't actually had a P-Touch label fall off of any wire or cable yet. The most severe problem has been labels that become loose and slide down the cable slightly. I think you might be able to use them without problem, even in an area without air conditioning. Some of mine are in use on the inside and outside of a cable TV junction box on the side of my house.

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh

When I got one of those labellers at a garage sale, I guess it was May of 2005, out of curiosity I made up a label (the first tape doesn't last long, you want to play with it, then you learn the tapes can be expensive) and put it on a lawn chair. It sits out in the sun and rain all spring through fall (but comes in during the winter) and after two summers the label is still there and I can't say I've noticed fading. It's not a conclusive test, but the labels do seem to stand up.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

I'm not familiar with it. Do I need something like a hair dryer to shrink it?

Wayne T. Watson (Watson Adventures, Prop., Nevada City, CA) (121.015 Deg. W, 39.262 Deg. N) GMT-8 hr std. time) Obz Site: 39° 15' 7" N, 121° 2' 32" W, 2700 feet

'I think it not improbable that man, like the grub that prepares a chamber for the winged thing it has never seen but is to be, may have... destinies that he does not understand." -- Oliver Wendell Holmes

--
                     Web Page:
Reply to
W. Watson

That's encouraging.

Wayne T. Watson (Watson Adventures, Prop., Nevada City, CA) (121.015 Deg. W, 39.262 Deg. N) GMT-8 hr std. time) Obz Site: 39° 15' 7" N, 121° 2' 32" W, 2700 feet

'I think it not improbable that man, like the grub that prepares a chamber for the winged thing it has never seen but is to be, may have... destinies that he does not understand." -- Oliver Wendell Holmes

--
                     Web Page:
Reply to
W. Watson

I thinking I'm moving towards a buy on this.

All this brings up a related question, which I might address in a separate post. I have 15-20 PC cables not in use, and sometimes they are not easily identifible. Is there some procedure for identifying them? I never "quite" understood why the mfgers didn't put some code on them. $$$

Wayne T. Watson (Watson Adventures, Prop., Nevada City, CA) (121.015 Deg. W, 39.262 Deg. N) GMT-8 hr std. time) Obz Site: 39° 15' 7" N, 121° 2' 32" W, 2700 feet

'I think it not improbable that man, like the grub that prepares a chamber for the winged thing it has never seen but is to be, may have... destinies that he does not understand." -- Oliver Wendell Holmes

--
                     Web Page:
Reply to
W. Watson

A hot air gun is preferable.

See

Ross Herbert

for $10 US while its on sale at Harbor Freight.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida