snow, and the sound of snow

Hi, I'm new here, and this is my problem. I have a mid 1990's 25" Magnavox tv. Yesterday all was well, today I only get snow and the white noise with it. All the menu displays come up and I can adjust color, etc..., the channel numbers pop up in the corner but no picture or sound except the snow and white noise. I try to use the vcr, with the same results, snow and white noise. I am not on cable, but all the rooms are fed coax from the antenna thru an amp. The other TV's in the house are receiving a normal signal. I scrolled thru the menu to make sure it had not been switched to 'CABLE'. I have tried different combinations of connections with and w/o the vcr and the results are all the same. I can turn the volume up and down and flip thru the channels, but all I get is snow and noise...any thoughts, thanks, dougreed

Reply to
dougreed

When you say you tried with the VCR, did you try playing a tape?

And is the result the same on VHF and UHF?

It sounds like the tuner may have died. Does that set have a direct video input? If it does, that would come in past the tuner.

minimize spam.  Our true address is of the form che...@prodigy.net.
Reply to
CJT

CJT wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@prodigy.net:

[snip]

Yah, tuner is dead for whatever reason. Power supply to it has gone, the tuner itself does not work, etc. A mid 90's Magnavox TV set is 10 years old and not really worth putting any money into to fix. You can hook up an old VCR to the video input and then connect your cable to the VCR to use for a tuner. Heck, you can get a brand new VCR at Wallmart for less than fourty dollars. That is a *lot* cheaper than fixing a 10 year old television set.

--
~Ohmster
Reply to

Start by replacing the tuner module. Before replacing, verify that all the feed voltages are in specs, and that the RF AGC circuit from the IF section is functioning properly.

It is best to take the set to a service centre, if you are not trained in TV servicing and do not have the set-up to do this type of work.

Jerry G. ======

dougreed wrote:

Reply to
Jerry G.

Hi, thanks for the info. No, the TV does not have a seperate video input, and yes I tried to use the vcr as the tuner. The TV tuner must be dead...Thanks again,see-ya...doug

Reply to
dougreed