RCA CTC187AJ No chroma

I own an RCA Colortrak Model# F27678BC which has chassis# CTC187AJ.

Problem: No chroma. The screen menu color is fine but the picture is B&W only. The picture is sharp and has good contrast otherwise.

I am fairly comfortable with my soldering technique and was wondering if this might be a simple repair. Any photos, schematic or wiring diagrams would be helpful.

I'm open to taking the unit to a repair facility but the closest repair shop is 3.5 hours away. I live in rural Maine so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance! Jim Desrosiers

Reply to
Jim Desrosiers

Do you have a scope and do you understand the operation of the color circuit? If so, it is likely an easy diagnosis. If not it will be hit and miss and you will possible waste a lot of effort. You can send the chassis to Tri State Module for repair and return for about $95 + shipping if that is easier than bringing the set to a tech.

Leonard

shop

Reply to
Leonard Caillouet

Check the EEPROM. These units are not known for no color. Be carefull doing this, as you can foul the unit up badly. First use the menu, to see if you can actually see the small vertical bar along with the dots across the screen to adjust the color. Read this first!!!

Only, if the bar isn't there, enter the service menu, by pressing menu, hold it, press power, release power while still holding menu, then press volume up. You will see P 01, left side, then V 00. Use volume up/ down to get to V 76. To reset the EEPROM: Trick # 722

1.. Press and hold menu then press power and then press volume + 2.. Release menu 3.. Press menu (vertical will collapse don't panic) 4.. Press menu 5.. Press power You may have restored the EEPROM, it's worked for me with some very weird problems with the eeprom where I'd normally have replaced the eeprom.
Reply to
Rono

EEPROM is bad ...???

Reply to
kip

Thanks Leonard, I appreciate the reply. No, I don't have a scope, much less understand the color circuit. At this point, I'm ready to just send the module in and have it repaired/replaced . . . the kids are about to stage a revolt at this point and I need it done ASAP. I think Rono's reply is on the right track.

Reply to
Jim Desrosiers

Thanks Rono, This is exactly where I wanted to start but couldn't find the info. If this doesn't work, it's off to Tri-State a-la KJP. Thanks for the BIG help!

Jimbo

Reply to
Jim Desrosiers

Hey Reno, That did the trick, The only side effect was the need to turn off the captions. Let me know where to send the beer, LOL! Thanks for the tip! Jimbo

Reply to
Jim Desrosiers