Amp powers up, but no output.

Eltax avr 250 Please can somebody reply? somebody must have an idea about what the problem could be. Eltax.com was no help, just told me it was possibly defective. DUH.

its just gone dead, lights up !! one of the speaker level indicators is on max tried resetting but no good, had an electrical engineer friend look at it, he checked fuses. Couldn`t see anything obvious. Checked all the speaker wiring too. Any ideas about the problem? Saw another post the same as this, but the guy just bought a new amp.

Reply to
B A T M A

Check speakers on a different amp. If they are ok: A likely cause is fried (shorted) output transistors. When the outputs go south, the speaker protection circuit kicks in and mutes all output (i.e. disconnects power to the speakers) to spare the speaker coils from seeing DC. This is why you will not get sound from either channel. Fuses don't always blow in this scenario. Often, outputs will fail internally with no visible signs of damage such as chunks blown out the sides of the transistors or flame damage, etc.

This is not a job for the novice. Multiple driver stage trannies (in the chain before the final outputs) are also frequently toast. One school of thought is that even the ones that aren't toast have been stressed by the catastrophic failure and should be replaced as a precaution -- you wouldn't want the new outputs to fail again prematurely because you neglected to replace a 20-cent transistor.

Unless you're aware of the hazards of working around high-current devices AND don't mind risking even more damage to the amp, take it to a shop. Or... contribute to the landfill like the other guy you read about.

Reply to
Ray L. Volts

Thanks, it does look like "A likely cause is fried (shorted) output transistors. When the outputs go south" the fuses are fine, but there was a transistor that had what looked like the plastic melted on it, just before the mains output, but without a service manual, my electrical engineer friend, could not be sure. I live nowhere near any expert shops, but yesterday I managed to get hold of a telephone number of a professional engineer who works from home, not too far away, for a number of shops.

Reply to
B A T M A