Rank Arena Widescreen CRT

I'm bothered about buying expensive products with non-lead solder.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Was that adjustment in one direction only (to increase resistance)? How much range did it have before the copper would need replacement?

Michael

Reply to
msg

**Dual was purchased by Thorens. Thorens is still a European made product.
--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

if you had checked the RGB and frame stages, I'm sure you would have found something amiss causing the set to prevent the EHT starting. This sounds like a classic case of 'don't look for the fire, look for the boy with the matches' . Still, another one for landfill :-(

-B

Sorry, not true. In the last 4 years, have seen the Dual name, including the logo, on chinese made DVD player and a Turkish vestel TV.

-B

The originals were still in the transmitter, and it was built in

1952. Backing the bolts off allowed some change in length, so they were backed off and then set to a minimum torque. The new tube was installed, and the voltage measured. Then each was tightened to the recommended filament voltage. A new tube would last a couple years, so it didn't have to be done very often. What bugged me was 3 KW of electricity was used to get 25 KW out of the tube. :(
--
The movie \'Deliverance\' isn\'t a documentary!
Reply to

Well, perhaps. But by the time I'd got the metal box partly apart, which required desoldering, I'd already managed to cut myself on it, and I wasn't feeling particularly goodwilled towards the set. There was also the question of what I was going to do with it if I managed to fix it. It was rather bigger than I envisaged when I bid for it, so it wasn't really going to suit my living room. I wouldn't feel entirely comfortable about selling a TV that I'd taken a soldering iron to the insides of. So if I'd fixed it, it might have ended up on the tip anyway :(

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

**Dual was STILL purchased by Thorens. Thorens may have recently on-sold the name. Or not. It is not beyond the realms of possibility that the Chinese are illegally using the name.
--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

I have seen a TV transmitter, a Doppler radar transmitter and a huge mercury vapor rectifier. Have seen a walkin klystron but only in pictures.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Amazing, isn't it! What was used to measure the filament voltage with that accuracy?

Reply to
PeterD

They

LSI

Ever seen a klystrode?

--
The movie \'Deliverance\' isn\'t a documentary!
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

An RCA VTVM on the lowest AC scale. If the needle moved at all, it was out of spec. Yo connected it to the filament end of the pair of copper resistors and adjusted for zero volts, like a Whetstone bridge. That transmitter was built in 1952. :)

--
The movie \'Deliverance\' isn\'t a documentary!
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

valves".

They

set

LSI

And you need to know why?

Reply to
Meat Plow

Then that's a NO.

The Klystrode 'was' the replacement for Klystrons in UHF TV transmitters, but was short lived because new designs switched to all solid state. They were more efficient than the Klystron, and cut the electric bill by thousands of dollars a month. A technology between the two tubes was to add a 'Pulser' to a Klystron to lower the electric bill.

--
The movie \'Deliverance\' isn\'t a documentary!
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Wouldn't matter one way or the other because you were going to tell me about a klystrode regardless.

I'll remember that the next time I apply for an engineer position at a UHF TV station.

Reply to
Meat Plow

They will laugh in your face if you aren't familiar with the new Harris solid state transmitters.

BTW, I found four high power GE X Ray heads yesterday. They use about 100 KV DC to power them. Heavy bastards, with cooling fans. I wonder if the store has any idea what they are really work, or just how dangerous?

--
The movie \'Deliverance\' isn\'t a documentary!
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

If its just the heads they could be worth more for the lead in them !

--
Best Regards:
                     Baron.

What lead? This is the aluminum waveguide & tube part. The lead is part of the moving arm and holds the X ray assembly. They still weigh about 5o pounds each for the smaller pair. I didn't know it was legal to dispose of these outside the medical electronics industry. I would think they would be rebuilt, like all the other types.

--
The movie \'Deliverance\' isn\'t a documentary!
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Oh ! I'm thinking about the wrong bit. I've seen a couple in scrap metal yards. Didn't have a tube in them though.

--
Best Regards:
                     Baron.

No problem. :)