VCR repair

trying to repair 2 vcr's, one 14 year old mitsubishi and one 5 year old jvc, when i remove the covers and shine my work light inside to clean, inspect them they both eject the tape and shut off, is this common?, is there a light sensor inside that is meant to prevent the average joe from opening them up and tinkering with them?

Reply to
will

You have to cover the "end of tape" sensors with some small bits of opaque tape. At either end of the light path from the central IR transmitter that goes inside the cylindrical recess at the bottom of the cassette when in place to play. System cuts in when the transparent ends of the tape are reached or you remove the top cover in bright room light.

vcr repair tips

N Cook

You're not very familiar with vcrs, are you? post the symptoms of the fault and someone here will be able to give you some guidance. see also

vcr troubleshooting section . Read that information to begin with. regards, -B,.

Hi,

I rescued a couple of "decent" (?) VCRs -- both of which need some work. They are: JVC BR-S378U Sony SLV-R1000 I haven't spent much time on either of them. The purpose of this post is to get advice as to which might be best to start looking at.

And, to see if anyone has pointers to service manuals on either of them.

So, anyone with firsthand experience with either of these?

Thanks!

--don

Reply to
D Yuniskis

Guess it depends on what is wrong with each of them but as an opinion, the JVC looks similar to another model I've worked on in the past (hrs9800) and were probably the last "built like a tank" models they produced.

Besides like the belt/idler problems, those had a poorly designed power supply, which is right behind when the line cord is, really crammed in there, it overheats and takes out the STK module on the board. It's somewhat easy to figure out because the STK supplies the +5 and +12 (there might be a

3rd section for +18 or so), but they do legend the board.

Keep in mind, if it's anything else, it's probably not worth proceeding, both of those appear to use uncommon video head assemblies, four or six head designs with flying-erase. Really doubt either company has them anymore and really doubtful there were any knock-offs made from the chinese. Probably cost a small fortune even when they were available.

-bruce snipped-for-privacy@ripco.com

Reply to
Bruce Esquibel