Problems with RCA F35100ST

I need help diagnosing a couple problems with my RCA F35100ST (CTC169BG2 chassis) set.

Problem one: The on-screen menus and information (channel #, time, volume, menu) no longer show up. At the beginning they were flickering and then they dissappeared a short while later.

Problem two: The tuner has intermittent noise issues on all channels. It begins with the lower channels slowly becoming snowy and then dissappearing into complete snow. After this the upper channels will become extremely noisy. This affects both audio and video. When this began happening the channels would first become wavy and distorted with audio interference and then they would get snowy.

This TV has never been repaired and is currently 14 years old. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Reply to
irdev

There's ways around your dilemas on that set that won't cost anything. First, the menu issue is most likely a 5.6 volt zener diode causing the

5 volts to the eeprom to run high and damaging it. Good news is, on that set the eeprom isn't that critical. It only contains menu and customer settings data. I've rarely heard of the eeprom on a 169 causing it not to function, other than the menu. The tuner issue is resolvable by using a vcr or cable box with rca cables to go into video 1 or 2, then setting the tv for channel 91 or 92 accordingly. If you use Svideo, then use channel 90. Then, just change channels with the vcr or cable box and with the tv being a monitor at that point, you would only use the audio control for it. The tuner won't be an issue at this point.

Tech Data

I've got a question on this TV. I have one that one day decided it would not turn on, up until then everything was fine. The fuse inside is good and hitting the power switch does absolutely nothing, not even the sound of a relay (if there are any). I do not have a schematic yet, but am just wondering if this TV is typically an easy (and not expensive)fix or should I look to replacing?

Thanks

Reply to
wij