Plasma TV/stupid question.

I just got this rather large set in for repair. There is no stand and therefore no way to really support this thing to troubleshoot it. I worked on one in the past that had a stand so it was supported when I took the back off, but this seems impossible to deal with. What do most people do to support these things when working on them. I'd sure hate to see it fall over. Thanks, Lenny Stein, Barlen Electronics.

Reply to
captainvideo462002

Somewhat depends on size and brand, but we have two ways, depending on what we need to do. First, we have a large-area roll-around we put a

4" thick foam pad & blanket on, then lay the set face down on it. This works very well for most. For testing and alignments after repair, we built another padded roll-around that we can put the set upright on. This also works well (except we made it a bit too close to the ground). Hope this helps. Steve Pearsons Electronics Spokane, WA.
Reply to
cynthiajacobs

So for testing and alignment I take it that there is also a padded surface on the bottom and then does the set just kind of lean back onto this padded 90 degree upright as well? Basically a table top with a full 90 degree back is what I'm picturing. Lenny

Reply to
captainvideo462002

You got it. Steve

Reply to
cynthiajacobs

Friend of mine who does a lot of these built a simple bench top lay-back frame from 22mm copper plumbing pipe and fittings, picked up at his local hardware store. It has two bars which stick out towards him at the bottom. These are at 90 deg to the main frame, which lays back at probably 30 deg. When repairing the item, it lays forward on the frame, with the top tilting away from him at 30 deg. This is a perfectly good position to work on it, and has the advantage that it is still sufficiently 'upright' to allow the picture to be seen in the mirror at the back of the bench. When the set is repaired, he simply turns it around on the frame for soak testing, with the screen facing out into the workshop.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

I like the ideas. This first repair I just laid on its face padded and supported on its frame but for future repairs I'll probably build a type of stand mentioned. Thanks to everyone. Lenny.

Reply to
captainvideo462002