Shorting DC power supplies together

I connected an 9.4Vdc 400mA power supply for external pc speakers to a

12V power supply line from the back of my Dell 20" FP LCD monitor intended for an optional "speaker bar" that Dell sells. Suffice to say, neither the monitor nor the dc power supply are working. Anyone know what to look for to repair the monitor? Is it salvageable? Possible just some components near the power supply outputs needing replacing?
Reply to
Salman

I can only assume that the Dell people were smart enough to assume someone would short out the power output line as you just did. And I can assume that they probably put a fuse in their internal Power supply that would protect that Power line. Open her up and check for a fuse. If your lucky, you blew it out. If your not lucky, you took out the Monitor PS.

Larry

Reply to
Larry P

I would start by looking for fuses / circuit protectors / safety resistors. These may not be too obvious, as they likely will not look like something that you would traditionally identify as a fuse - ie a glass or ceramic tube with end caps. Many fuses in this type of equipment, are about the size of a

1/4 watt resistor, and are wire ended. Circuit board silk screening may call them "F", "CP" or "ICP" and there might be a rating also silk screened on. Other types look like a little cylinder, and have a rating written on their flat top. Still others, are surface mount, and are usually about the size of the surface mount decoupling caps that you see scattered all over boards these days. Finally, if a safety resistor type, then it will actually look like a resistor.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily