OT - postings not appearing? long delays?

Just me or is something wrong here?

An hour ago I posted a question to this group and still do not see it?

And the last activity I do see appears to be 2 days ago!

Has spam weighed down the internet that much or is something else going on?

Reply to
Robert Macy

Assuming the post you are referring to is " HP Laserjet 5L ... ", then I see it on my server as having arrived at 00:42 my time. This post shows as having arrived at 01:17 i.e. about a half hour after the first one. Your server may be doing some housekeeping function or have a problem that's preventing it from updating at the moment ?

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Get a real news server. Google doesn't always send messages right away. Sometimes they never leave the spool. :(

Michael A. Terrell

I saw nothing new for three days, today is the first since Sunday.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Yes, it's you--using a Web interface to Usenet and not understanding the limitations of that tool.

Every ~18 months, Google Groups "improves" their UI (usually in some imperceptible way). In the process, their pages don't get updated for many hours. The longest I have seen before was 36 hours. This time (>3 days), there must be a BIG "improvement".

The next time your post doesn't appear immediately, rather than displaying your ignorance by posting yet again (and not having that show up at GG for hours), go to a high-traffic group (alt.test is the highest, I'm guessing) and see if the last thing appearing is over 10 minutes old. If so, Google is playing their games again.

It's that simple.

Reply to
JeffM

ht

It appears not. I posted something two days ago and I still don't see it. In fact I haven't seen any new posts either. Lenny

Reply to
klem kedidelhopper

A lot of people are complaing about Google groups not updating properly for the last week. There are other free or low cost news servers availible. news:alt.free.newsservers is a newgroup that discusses these servers.

Use

for Google groups users.

Michael A. Terrell

I recently switched to Eternal September

Seems to be working just dandy.

Jeff

--
"Everything from Crackers to Coffins"
Reply to

Most of us never notice this anyway. Because of the low signal to noise ratio (even for UseNet) we have all GoogleGroups postings go directly to the trash.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson N3OWJ/4X1GM
Making your enemy reliant on software you support is the best revenge.

Good for you, but a few people I want to communicate with who have refused to leave 'The Borg of Usenet'.

Michael A. Terrell

It has some glitches from time to time, but at least it's a real NNTP server. :)

BTW, did you ever make any progress with Joomla?

Michael A. Terrell

I think I used a different CMS, but I haven't had the time to deal with any of it recently.

Jeff

--
"Everything from Crackers to Coffins"
Reply to
Jeffrey Angus

I've been on Supernews since the stone age. I'm on SUPER-TEXT[1] plan that gives me text service for $4/month. Works fine, little spam, no lost messages, fast header downloads (after I purged most of my ancient junk), and cheap.

[1] 3G/mo, 10 streams, $3.95/mo, no encryption. Oh-oh. It appears that they offer this plan any more.

Looking at my stats, I download about 5 MBytes/month and have downloaded 184 MBytes since 3/2008. Definitely a light weight Usenet user.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

atio

ash.

People who filter out googlegroups are usually low content dinosaurs for whom the vi vs. emacs wars are still a recent concern. I had hoped that this H8 teh googlegroupers movement would have died along with "Blinky the Shark." Oh well.

Reply to
spamtrap1888

It appears that google has almost finished their 'upgrade' The repair group has up to date messages, but the Win98 group still shows June

27th as the last posting.

I still think this has somehting to do with their massive vulnerability to recent hacking. They're probably shoring up their defenses.

Thanks to someone who mentioned Eternal September. There was something that kept me from using it, but can't remember now. I think it's that Usenet is such a seldom event, there is no need to streamline everything. Just keep it simple through the google interface and be done with it. Or, it bogged my system down so badly, just don't remember now.

Anyway, the problem is, and has been, google, which means they'll sort it out soon. No need to install more bloate code on this machine.

Reply to
Robert Macy

I'm guessing it was the software you were trying to use as a newsreader.

Well, that isn't actually *necessary*. http://google.gom/search?q=%22.Opera.as.a.newsreader%22 ...but see my previous statement.

Reply to
JeffM

Shorter version: Dull wits with blunt tools.

Reply to
JeffM

Actually, the trick with eternal september, is that you have to figure out HOW to read their INTERNAL news groups to be able to read ALL the OTHER news groups.

It is, kind of, an idiot filter.

Jeff

--
"Everything from Crackers to Coffins"