Re: Highly undesirable postings

> > If Google Groups would **properly** process > > the reports they ALREADY get > > (and block the **IP address** of the offenders > > --or perhaps that entire range) this would slow to a trickle. > > This would not work today. Most IP addresses people use are > dynamic, and banning an entire range (say, 65536 addresses) > because of one spammer is not something any of us would > seriously advocate (hmm... I wish I could be more positive on > that :-). > > There is a technically simple way out, but ISPs will have to implement > some of it first. Now, most of them do assign some DNS entry to > any IP address, typically made unique by including the IP address > itself in the name - this cannot be used. However, at least some > (e.g. mine) ISPs do offer a DDNS service; that is, I can have a > static DNS entry for any (or all) of the IP addresses I get, whatever > they are at the moment. From there on, it is easy; either block them > based on reverse DNS or whitelist users based on their forward > DNS. > I don't see that happening any time soon, of course. > I use Google groups and if they disappear I am not sure I would > bother finding some other path - and I would rather have them > public as they are, and non-anonymous - as they are (they do > include the originating IP address, if someone wants to complain > about it the right addressee of the complaint would be the ISP > proviging this IP, not Google). > > Dimiter

If you do DNS lookup on a lot of the spam it is posted through unassigned IP range blocks reserved for China. Google could block those addresses without affecting any legitimate users.

--
Sig file?  I don\'t need no steenkin sig file!
Reply to

Google has enough money they could hire 20 people that could monitor all of News / Google groups, go through each one once a day and just delete the stuff. It would take a few minutes a day per group.

Better than that, there are enough people that would volunteer to do that if could set up an interface so a "moderator" could actually delete obvious spam... but not otherwise get involved in censorship. I'm sure we could get someone to volunteer to do that for this group, and each group has enough regulars that someone would be happy to do it...

or even some kind of a vote system, if enough people read a post and classify it as spam, then the system deletes it when the votes exceed some threshold....

trial by consensous....it works for Wikipedia...

Someone needs to do something...this is out of hand...

Mark

Reply to
Mark

"Mark" skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@2g2000hsn.googlegroups.com...

Err. It doesn't work for wikipedia; Wikipedia is *crap*. The wikipedia problem is that the people with enough time and motivation to perpetually moderate posts and repost their versions e.t.c. are people who have no jobs, no social life and no family - i.e. dysfunctional people. So you will effectively let the ranters and ravers run the asylum because the sensible people have a finite amount of energy and time they wish to waste before they move on to something else that is productive.

This is why any un-moderated internet forum always descend to the standard of the most idiotic people. It takes time to create a resoned argument, it takes no time to rant and since the ranter has no life they can *always* out-stupid you! Stupid wins, always!!

That someone is yourself. Kill google posts for a start! (make an exception for Win et.al.)

Reply to
Frithiof Andreas Jensen

Compared to what? It has been shown to be at least as accurate as a conventional, printed encyclopedia. I find it very useful as a general reference. Even for controversial "hot" topics it seems surprisingly rational.

And yet it does in fact work. Of course it's not perfect, but it is amazingly good considering how it is created (and your points above).

I think I agree here. Need to figure out how to whitelist people, with my newreader. I have already filtered out aioe, missed a couple of original posts by regulars but usually see them quoted in replies.

--

John Devereux
Reply to

You've COMPLETELY missed the point of an *archive*.

The problem is that this crap gets posted *via* Google to start with. Most of this is REPEAT behavior which has already been reported. Once an IP address has been reported to Google as an offender, Google should block that IP address. I don't see a way for Google to do it without using a blunt tool.

The majority of *access providers* DO cut off the offenders It's Google that is is the turd in the punchbowl.

Reply to
JeffM

FUCK Google and FUCK the WinTard as well. If that retarded bastard had half a clue, he would use a traditional news outlet. For not doing so...FUCK the stupid fucktard.

Reply to
StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt

No I haven't..... I'll try to make it more clear for you.

Google could edit out the SPAM but keep the rest of the good posts in the archive. It does no good to keep _everything_ including spam in the archive. That makes it more difficult to find the good information. Mark

Reply to
Mark

Not related to Mark's post, but I'll just stick it here.

It seems to me "Spam" only works if it's really, really easy on the sending end. In order to be effective, the spam must be essentially free & effortless to send.

If you can attach a monetary or time penalty to the sending of spam, you will stop it dead in its tracks. The spammers will not invest either to get the job done.

With S.E.D., other than moderating it, I wonder if there are some obstacles that could be thrown up that to that end?

-mpm

Reply to
mpm

snipped-for-privacy@2g2000hsn.googlegroups.com...

The consensous is that you are wrong about that.

Mark

Reply to
Mark

meddelelsenews: snipped-for-privacy@2g2000hsn.googlegroups.com...

Yep. Look, it says so here:

:)

--

John Devereux
Reply to

snipped-for-privacy@2g2000hsn.googlegroups.com...

Right....., we need a system like Wikipedia to review posts and get rid of spam in Newsgroups.

Come on Google, you guys are so good, you can do it!.

And you have a responsibilty to do it, since most of the spam comes into Newsgroups via Google.

Mark

Reply to
Mark