Fibre

It is all thumb twiddling and testing now, apparently it has been connected and has been for ages, just waiting,maybe just a month or so for them to try it all out before they give it to us.

Reply to
F Murtz

F Murtz wrote

So what happened ?

You don?t see too much activity at all here now, tho there are still a few pillars with the temporary covers with the long handles down each side. Looks unlikely we will be seeing anything before Xmas. Maybe they don?t have enough testers or something.

First sign of any activity was 12-Aug, that still gives a full month to go if mine is as slow as Keith's was, 5 months in his case.

Reply to
Rod Speed

nuffin yet

Reply to
F Murtz

Just had someone whining in the local facebook group that Telstra has refused to fix a phone fault because the NBN is imminent here,

Reply to
Rod Speed

How "imminent" is it you saw something happen months ago. but nothing seems to of moved? Like Sydney's light rail still not past the good coffee shop in Martin place after two years now? Light rail have made a big deal about actually laying some track on George St between Park St and Bathurst St? Meant to start at Circular Quay, this strip is around the length on ones property (probably dig it up again, more fake news by "our media" paid for by politicians)

--
Petzl
Reply to

Currently predicted to be next month, Jan.

Which fits with what Keith saw, we still have one month to go before we have the same 5 months from starting to available he got.

Yes, first visible activity, digging the holes for the nodes/green boxes was 12-Aug.

There was lots of visible activity for 3 months. In the first couple of weeks they were digging the holes for the green boxes with mid sized trucks and then putting those on their own concrete pads with multiple poly pipes to the relatively adjacent pillar.

Then for about 2 months after that there were usually white vans parked near the boxes and monkeys fiddling with the wires in one end. I spoke to one of them when he was doing that and you could see that he was terminating the multicore cable on the vertical panel up the entire narrow section in one of the green boxes. I said 'the electronics is down there presumably', pointing to the rest of the box which had the door still closed on it and he said 'yep'.

Sometimes the van was parked beside an existing pit with a monkey or two in the pit. Wasn't obvious what they were doing down there when I stopped and talked to one of them.

There hasn't been as much activity in the last month but you do sometimes see someone down another prexisting pit still.

Some of the pillars still have temporary covers on them, with long handles right down each side. But at least one of them actually has the usual lettering on it so it may not actually be a temporary cover anymore.

Sure, but that is obviously a lot more work that with the NBN.

How long did it take for the existing light rail to get done ?

Not that useful into tho because it went along the old rail right of way, particularly when it got out past the edge of the CBD out where the PowerHouse Museum is.

Reply to
Rod Speed

About three weeks ago I saw some one having a snooze near our node with his head resting on a small pit between node and a pole and jumped when I came up, he pretended to talk down the pit then he said he was connecting power to node box.

Reply to
F Murtz

Interesting point, it isnt at all obvious how the power gets to the node box.

None of ours have any connection to the mains poles.

Reply to
Rod Speed

You might be getting Fibre to the Home (FttH)? Our power is underground with home power supply conneted through base of Street Light Pole. The Same power source for Node.

--
Petzl
Reply to

Nope, its definitely FTTN.

Ours isnt in this particular part of the town.

The part of the town that does have underground power has green pillar things which are square roughly every second house. Not that high, about 300mm

Yeah, but given we have overhead mains in my street, there should be some obvious connection to that and there isnt.

Tho come to think of it, they did have a bucket truck at the pole mounted big transformer across the road from the node. I spose they likely did mole it under the road and its powered from there. Must have a close look at the pole the transformer is on, it should be visible up that pole if that's how its powered.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Allegedly its available today in my part of town.

I'd just decided that they weren't going to do that on the day before Xmas Eve but they have just dumped me face down in the mud on that apparently.

Reply to
Rod Speed

It does appear to be available today at my place.

I was originally planning to stay with dodo until my contract ran out,

8 months @ $24/month break fee. Not attractive in the long term, myrepublic.net is much better value for 100/40 unlimited, $60, dodo wants $100 for that. Dodo will allow you to change to the NBN with no contract penalty, but that involves a whole new 2 year contract.

Dodo's retention people could only offer me $95/month but were happy to halve the break fee to just $99.

I signed up with myreplublic.net, but that froze on the final screen. Rang them, but have now been on hold for 25 mins.

Reply to
Rod Speed

I just ran my address through NBN and it said estimated start Jan 2017

Reply to
F Murtz

They did eventually answer the phone, had no record of the online signup so I signed up on the phone.

Reply to
Rod Speed

I only found FttN was available by checking online About a month later letters started arriving from ISP's of offers. Also had problems for Telstra to give me correct bill always over charged by around $10. Took them months to give me a TV modem which I use for programs I miss not paying for any Netflix etc.

--
Petzl
Reply to

Mate of mine found a big Telstra van down the main street today and asked them when it would be available. He said today in half the town and a couple more weeks in the other half.

We've been having those for months now, mostly from iprimus and someone else I can't remember. None from dodo or telstra tho even tho I have used both in the past and currently use dodo.

Havent used them for more than a decade now. I did use them when adsl first showed up, basically in case there were problems.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Well I hated Telecom to ring across the road was a toll cal (046) to (02) when we were allowed to use Optus I changed. Problem here is like all bureaucracies they can't or won't fire dickheads instead they sent them to Sydney's furtherest outpost. A legacy of this was bodged copperwire instalation. While waiting for phone in 80's to be installed they would park near the pub all day. When it was pissing down with rain they might show up to apoligize that it was too wett. The house was wired while being built and no reason why the phone should not of been ready when we moved in.

With the phone we got it was crackly and pretty bad even for modem.

Seems everyone was complaing, the local paper gave the email address of a service manager (but had to sign up to Telstra) who selected his own "techs" who found my phone wired wrong in less than 10 minutes. This was after years and 1000's of "techs" who never fixed my bad phone connection (like Jehovah witness knocking at your door all the time)

--
Petzl
Reply to

That's not true. Same or adjacent zone is a local call.

--
I call shenanigans on all theistic religions
Reply to

That's not true. When that was across the road, it was still a local call.

I do use them for mobile, or more strictly amaysim who resells them.

The NBN is being done by contractors.

Didn't get that with the recent FTTN installation.

When I was building my house in the very early 70s, the buggers would keep digging up the street with every new phone service, always on Saturday at overtime rates.

Mine was fine. I have had a couple of failures in those 45 years now, but all were back in the exchange, not the street lines.

And one of them was fixed by a contractor on saturday morning too.

And they did a free diversion to my non telstra mobile while it was down too.

Yeah, some faults like spurs can remain for ages until someone with a clue works out what the problem is.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Wasn't when Telecom was in charge 1980's. infact a timber sawmill Leumeah had two phones one end 02 the other end 046

There was a stage where there were temporary movements/period, for a while it went to 50 cents unlimited to break into the 02 barrier, but didn't last long.

Calling Botany 02 for 15 minutes cost $15 in 2010's.

046 Campbelltown to Sydney 02. Now to call via Skype to Japan Tokyo for around an hour cost me a dollar.

Now with NBN calls nationwaide mobile and landline are free.

--
Petzl
Reply to