OT Analyzing Audio

I want to record a car engine and determine the RPM by analyzing the audio waveform without having the waveform from a known RPM to compare. Suggestions? Anyone know of a more suited group for this kind of question?

Reply to
Meat Plow

Just a guess, but I think if you knew the number of cylinders and what each one sounded like when it fired, then you could easily tell how fast the engine was turning.

I could very well be wrong, however.

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh

There was a discussion on something like this on comp.dsp a while back IIRC...

Cheers, Martin

--
martin.j.thompson@trw.com
http://www.conekt.net/electronics.html