Car audio

Hello fellow inquisitive beings,

I'm a complete newbie to car electronics and was wondering if there is anyway you could use laptop/pda to control your car audio. Mainly though, I'm interested in ideas in how to control the actual FM radio/ cd player using the laptop/pda . I DON'T want to play music from my laptop using the car speakers. Rather I want to control the car audio using my laptop. Thank you very much for any input or direction that anyone could provide.

Cheers.

Reply to
SuryaDipta

Possible, via Infra red. I built the serial port receiver /transmitter. Had a very ambitous plan to learn all IR codes in the universe so i'd never have to bother a customer who'd forgotten to send his remote along with the set in for repair. Got lazy and bored as usual.... It works fine though.

jango2

Greetings..

Regarding: "Mainly though, I'm interested in ideas in how to control the actual FM radio/ cd player using the laptop/pda ."

WHY would you want to use a laptop to control car audio? Perhaps a hand remote control, I could see, but why go to the extent of deploying a laptop in the car for this? That makes no sense.

The solution is a car stereo that isn't so UN-user friendly that you consider that it requires a PC to control it! Further, in the long run, you'll enjoy it more and save yourself a few greenbacks in the process. Consider the resale value of car electronics (stereos) after a few months to a year before sinking hundreds (if not more) into car stereos.

Something to consider and remember..

Cheers, Mr. Mentor

Reply to
dBc

The only thing I can think of is you can purchase a new Ford instead and ask them to install Microsoft Sync (a costly option of course) and you can use your voice.

Another thing: this post has nothing to do with electronics repair please direct your post to a more appropriate newsgroup.

Reply to
Lynn & Allison