Onkyo Carousel DVD transport not working

Is there an FAQ showing how to check belts etc on this please? Or is a cog not tight enough or engaging properly?

I have a DV-CP702 which is about ten months old and has played about 4 or 5 discs in total! Looking at the transport I can see the DVD being picked up, something tries to spin it, I can hear the servo motor spinning but the disc doesn't spin at all. Ultimately it gives up on loading any disc and tries to move on to the next disc with the same result.

Reply to
news.rcn.com

10 months old = under warranty. Contact an Onkyo dealer for how to contact an Onkyo-certified warranty repair shop. DO NOT open it or you will void the warranty.
Reply to
Dave

Your unit should be under warranty.

These can be very tricky and a challange to service. The problem can be belts, the motor, or something mechanicaly not sitting correctly. If you were to service this yourself, it would take skill and experience that I doubt you have, or you would not be asking.

Jerry G. =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

cog

or 5

up,

sc

Jerry G.

If it has really only been used a handful of times, then there's a good chance that your problem is simply a dusty lens surface on the laser. DVD players tend to keep dust free as a result of the very high disc spin speed dragging a layer of fast moving air over the lens. You might also try playing a regular music CD in it, as a dusty DVD lens is more forgiving of the less challenging data stream. If the lens is not dusty, but it does play a CD, then you would under normal circumstances, have to be suspecting the laser itself.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

$9.99 and instant download

Reply to
MrManuals

They had a lot of bad pickups on this model. You need to get it fixed under warranty.

Onkyo's policy is no warranty unless bought from an authorized dealer; however, if you call their customer service they will cover a one-time repair on a unit from a non-autorized dealer.

If on the other hand you got it from snipped-for-privacy@AOL.COM or some such you'll probably be out of luck.

In the United States you can reach Onkyo at 800-229-1687 if memory serves.

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark D. Zacharias

As everyone here has been so helpful, I thought that I should give a bit more of the story than was relevant to the OP

'The' unit has already been replaced before, twice and sent back to Onkyo four or more times. Ultimately they replaced an earlier model with this one

By that time however I had completely lost faith in the product, which is why it has sat there for so long and been used so little

However I have also lost faith in Onkyo's ability to service it or indeed their willingness to do so, especially after the ordeal they put me through on the last occasionS, plural. I certainly don't want to waste money on buying THEIR service manual in these circumstances!

So I thought I would ask here if anyone has any idea what the trouble might be so that I can try to rectify it myself

Actually being as I am a masochist, I have in fact called Onkyo a half dozen times and been put through the wringer yet again by being put on indefinite hold almost every time. Luckily I have learned to use a speakerphone and all this caused little disruption to me!

On one occasion by pressing random keys on the telephone I did manage to get put through to a slightly indignant service manager who demanded to know how I had managed to get put through to him,. He was in fact quite nice and told me to take the cover off and clean the lens carefully.

It was THEN that I noted the problem which I described to you all, which is that the clamp holds the DVD in place and something starts to run the spinner on the DVD and when something or other doesn't engage, it gives up and pretends to move on to the next DVD which does the same. Ultimately it gives up on moving on and realises that the servo isn't moving the DVD as I mentioned in OP.

I had thought obviously wrongly that is was a standard carousel mechanism which was subject to the standard problems which could be easily repaired by someone without much technical knowledge by tightening some cog or other or replacing some belt.

Reply to
news.rcn.com

Warranty under the cheap brand? Don't waste your time. If I were you, I fix it myself. Less hassle to deal with the low class people. Check the belt, or rubber, something is not turning your DVD disc holder. It's a simple job.

--
Service to my daemon Bush? Done that excessively, and I've got my DD666 to
prove it.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida Top idiot.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

He was in fact quite nice and

So have you ??

It would seem that you are completely misunderstanding the sequence of events which lead to a disc being played, and the term 'servo'. There is no such item as a "spinner" in a DVD or CD player. I assume that you are meaning that the disc starts to be rotated by the spindle motor, having been correctly clamped to the turntable, but that the loading process does not proceed on from there, resulting in the player rotating the carousel to have a try at the next position. All this means is that the laser does not manage to read anything that it can make sense of, from the initial spinup of the disc, so it assumes that there is no disc at that position on the carousel.

In view of the fact that you seem to not understand the workings of these players, then I think that your eforts will have to be confined to cleaning the lens, as both the man at Onkyo and myself suggested to you, or accept that the laser is faulty, as both Mark and myself have told you.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Onkyo is not a "cheap brand", but their dvd players aren't the best, either. It's not a belt or rubber issue. The pickups on these are a common failure item, and the unit must achieve focus before it will spin the disc.

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark D. Zacharias

|------||-----| | DO NOT | | FEED THE | | aioe.org | | TROLL! | |------||-----| || || || /|\\|/||||//|||/\???\\//\\\\/|?\/

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Something going on I wasn't aware of - phony post or something?

mz

Reply to
Mark D. Zacharias

A lot of forged messages through aioe.org. Set your newsreader to display full headers, and keep an eye out.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I wish my newsreader had a way to block a whole domain. aioe.org hosts an open news server, a nice idea, except that it's a haven for spammers and trolls.

I'm surprised nobody has forged me yet, well aside from the biblical spammer who forged practically everyone here. If I start spouting off nonsense, it's probably a fake.

Reply to
James Sweet

If you can get newsproxy to work, you can drop all traffic from aioe.org. There are several version of the software floting around, and some don't work with XP. Look at The usenet improvment project for more information.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Yes, that seems obvious in view of the problems encountered here. Hardly worthwhile going through the wringer again with them as the laser seems to be what is at fault, though this response could have been given as a first post on this thread?

Reply to
news.rcn.com

Well I think it's pretty much what I posted in reply within a few hours of you starting the thread, and what Mark told you a day or two later ?? Maybe your news server is slow at picking up the reponses ?

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Sorry for any misunderstanding guys: When I said "when something or other doesn't engage, it gives up and pretends to move on to the next DVD which does the same" I meant that there was a possibility (which I was discounting in a practically new unit) that the laser was simply not reading, it wasnt sending any message to the motor to continue to spin the DVD (despite what you say, I still assume something spins the DVD) and it was assuming that there was no DVD in the carousel. i wasnt arguing with you, I was just assuming that there might be a mechanical fault as opposed to what amounts to an optical one.

Meanwhile back at the ranch, talking about DVDceivers, I can well believe that these are as unreliable as the (Philips?) carousel player type units. I also have a RCA HTS-6000 (three disc stack-loader) which does pretty much the same thing: It just says LOADING and then NO DISC. Meaning presumably the laser is gone as well!

It's main problem is that as it claims to have numerous 100 watt amplifiers in it and weighs a ton, (indicating that it might actually have some form of real transformer in it. Unless it just has lots of heat sinking?), it sort of deceives into making you think it is worth spending something on it.

Reply to
news.rcn.com