Kodak Carousel 850H

I have a Kodak Carousel 850H that I was using to review my decades old slide collection. I am trying to see what slides I want to scan so I can make prints for the family. About halfway through the second tray the projector failed. The forward/reverse buttons do not operate. When pressing them, you can hear a hum, but there is no motion. The manual says there are thermal fuses. I don't see any after removing the base. I think that if a fuse had opened there would be no power getting through to create the hum.

Any ideas?

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Bress

projector failed.

Welcome to the club! My 760 did the same thing. I believe this was one of the projector models that used some experimental rubbery plastic (or is it a plastic-y rubber?) for the solenoid linkage and also for the first gear mesh, on the motor.

Perhaps someone will have a list of specific models with this fault, maybe all of the 600, 700 and 800 series?

After X number of years the stuff breaks into pieces, or maybe turns to powder, rendering the machine useless.

This same self-destructing stuff was also used on all of the Kodak super-8 movie cameras, after the very first M2 and M4 (and maybe M6?) models. Also on most of their movie projectors.

Bad design, or planned obsolescence? You decide.

Reply to
Clive Tobin

projector failed.

Yeah, but it's a simple matter to make a replacement linkage. Been there, done that. :)

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header above is ignored unless my full name is included in the subject line. Or, you can contact me via the Feedback Form in the FAQs.

Reply to
Sam Goldwasser

Hi Charlie...

I have an old 750H sitting in the closet in this very room... last time I used it (decades ago) the bulb gave up, and when I went to replace it I somehow broke the reflector so that was it - it's sat collecting dust ever since.

Anyway, if you'd like photos of any of the internals, or voltage or resistance readings, or whatever feel free to ask.

But if I may, I also have an alternate suggestion. If you have a good (I mean good) flatbed scanner with a full sized light lid, you can drop slides on a dozen at a time, scan them quickly, and easily tell which are worthwhile. :)

As for me, should you be interested, I'm a couple of years into scanning thousands of slides, and thousands upon thousands of

35 mm and other assorted negatives. I'm doing all of them, regardless of quality because while I know what the kids and grandkids like now, I have no idea what may or may not interest the generations further down the line. Just my 2 cents.

Take care.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

Charlie A classic problem. There is a plunger with a plastic tip that needs to be replaced. Pull the bottom, locate the solenoid and plunger. Get some tools and remove the solenoid. Replace the plunger etc. Adjust the position of the solenoid and reassemble. Sounds easy but it will take a while the first time. I do them in about 1 hour. Do a google search for the part. It is available. Bob AZ

Reply to
Bob AZ

Good ideas for the problem and solution. Thanks. A Google search got me to

They have free downloads of the original service manuals and show a lot of available parts. Now I can proceed with confidence in having the disassembly instructions and a source for the parts.

Thanks for "clues". They showed that this is a reasonable fix.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Bress