Panasonic DVD-S35 stops working suddenly

Hello,

In Oct. 2003 I bought a Panasonic DVD-S35 machine. It was working fine 'til last night when the first episode of a 2 episode DVD ended. As soon as the

1st episode ended, the machine suddenly turned itself off. When I turned on the machine, it was on for ~ 2 seconds and then shut itself off. Same pattern over and over even when I was able to get the DVD out and try another DVD--> same problem: machine just turns itself off.

Has anyone else has this same problem? If I open the case up and look around, is there anything not-so-complicated that I should inspect or test? I read a brief webpage report about some problem similar to this one and a guy said he fixed the same unit as mine by pushing on or fooling with the white spindle. Does the problem of my machine seem to be serious or something simply fixed by pushing on a spindle? If something else is indicated by the symptom, what's wrong?

Thanks

Reply to
Stan

I forgot to mention: drop one i to contact me.

Thanks

Reply to
Stan

I fixed it according to what a guy in another DVD repair forum told me to try. He told me this:

"Sounds like the typical spindle motor problem. More than likely motor has developed an internal short & causing the immediate shut down--may even be the drive IC that controls it.

If the motor, you just MAY be able to dislodge it by loading a disc & try rotating it by hand in both direction a few times (if you heard a clicking sound while doing so, the motor is definitley SHOT)

& if unsuccessful, I can tell you that it is not worth replacing the motor ."

With the cover off but laying over the top, I turned on the machine, put in a disc and the machine turned itself off. Then I unplugged the machine, and hand spun the disc in both directions. No clicking sounds- good! Plugged in machine, and tested it. It works! So I screw down the cover and have again a working DVD player. [I hope it remains a working one.]

:-D

[To send me a message, drop 1 i from address.]
Reply to
Stan