echo $LM_LICENCE_FILE not working

hi

got the tester of model sim from altera, but it seem even though i set the environment var from the system control panel, it don't appear hence con not find file. this is both quartus II which has other methods so no problem, and modelsim which does not find any environment variable.

don't work from command.exe either.

any help would be appreciated.

cheers

Reply to
jacko

If this is on Windows, I believe the syntax is

echo %LM_LICENSE_FILE%

Also note that at least on my system, it's spelled "licenSe".

Not sure if this helps.

Reply to
Henry Wong

got the echo working using % but still no luck finding it even with the S. it's definatly there.

Reply to
jacko

Use "set" from a command prompt to view all the environment variables in windows.

Also note that if you change an environment variable in the control panel, it only affects programs started after the change. If you open a command prompt, then make the change, you will not see the effect in the opened prompt - you need to open a new prompt.

Reply to
David Brown

done it though ctl panel, must have started model sim 3 times now and it no find, and quartus II does noit either, does it need a reboot??

Reply to
jacko

Instead of using the environment variable, try renaming the license file "license.dat" and place in it the directory c:\flexlm.

My purchased version of Modelsim, which had worked for months, suddenly quit working even though the environment variable and license file were properly set. Making this changed fixed it.

Remember, Mentor doesn't really want you to run their tool, they just want you to buy it :)

Reply to
tbrown

It's windows - if in doubt, reboot and see if that helps.

Reply to
David Brown

I'm not convinced that ModelSim 6.x uses the lm_license_file environment variable. I have two versions of Lattice ispLever on my Windows XP system, and I suddenly lost my ability to use ModelSim when the older license file ran out. I ran through my entire registry and made sure no keys or data pointed to the old license file, but only by moving the newer file to the old directory could I run ModelSim. I also looked around for .ini files that might hold this information but didn't find anything. So the bottom line is that it's best to place the license file in the default location (whatever that is)...

Good Luck, Gabor

Reply to
Gabor

If you have multiple paths to license files defined in your LM_LICENSE_FILE variable you could have problems. You mentioned that you had 2 versions of ispLEVER on your system, one with a valid license and one with an expired license. Depending on the ordering of the paths pointing to the 2 license.dat files in the environment variable, flexLM may be finding the feature line in the expired license and generating an error without even looking at the valid license. FlexLM can be configured to search the license files until it finds a license file that includes the feature line it is looking for, and either starting the software when a valid license is found or generating a license error when an expired license is found, either way stopping the search as soon as it finds the feature line. FlexLM can also be configured to continue searching for a valid license feature even after it has found an invalid feature. The original software vendors, Mentor Graphics in the case of ModelSim, configuration of the license generation software, determine all this. I have always found that regardless of the software tools and licenses adding all licenses into one file and having a single path defined in the LM_LICENSE_FILE variable is the best way to avoid these issues.

Reply to
Kevin

Actually as I explained there was no mention of the old file path in lm_license_file or anywhere else in my system registery. It seems that ModelSim has some method of saving license file path outside of environment variables or other registry keys.

Reply to
Gabor