Old LCD worth repairing?

My 32" Polaroid LCD tv just got the black screen. Sound is good and channel changing works...just the video...It is pretty old as it cost over $900 when I got it, so that dates it 12 plus years I would think. . . .It had a wonderful screen and although I have already replaced it with a 32" Emerson, I am wondering if the Polaroid would be worth investing $$$$ in, that is if one can find a tech here in SW. Montana. any imput please...chas.

Reply to
Chas

The first thing is to figure out what's wrong, then how much it will cost to fix it. You can then make a value judgment.

The once-proud Polaroid name (there was a time when Polaroid held the position -- "maker of magic" -- Apple now does) has been attached to many indifferent products. It's unlikely you'll be able to get parts.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

If you have to take it to a tech it's probably not worth repairing. While Polaroid was well known for their instant cameras, their TVs were noteworthy only for low quality and lack of service support. Your estimate as to it's age is off by a factor of 2, I'd say. The Polaroids were dumped on the market in the 2006 - 2009 time frame. The Emerson you replaced it with is cut from the same cloth.

There are several tests I suggest for the 'no picture' problem.

  1. In a completely dark room, is there any light visible from the screen when it is turned on? This may be mst noticeable around the edges of the screen. If so, does it flash briefly, or does it stay on?
  2. Again, in a completely dark room, is there any light visible from the back of the set when it is turned on? Again, if so does it stay on or only flash briefly?

  1. With the TV on and receiving a signal, can you see an image if you shine a bright light at an angle onto the screen?

These TVs are notorious for an inverter failure. This may be either a bad transformer, which will result in a brief flash before the protection crcuit shuts the inverter down; or an open fuse, in which case you will not see any signs of light.

If you do see a faint glow from the screen, but no picture, you may have a tcon failure. Search for the TV model number on eBay to see if they are available.

If you can see an image with the bight light you have confirmed it is either an inverter, CCFL, or possibly a power supply fault. Another common problem with these sets are bad capacitors in the power supply. A complete set of caps will cost $15-$20 from Digi-Key if you are in the USA.

PlainBill

Reply to
PlainBill

Sometimes a bad fuse link on the T-conn board.

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark Zacharias

Bill, . . .thanks for your insight. The first indication of a problem was the screen darkened while being watched. I shut it off and a few minutes. Later I turned it on and had the pic back, but only for a short time (like -2 mins?). Off again. On again and the same...pic but soon lost. Off again...this time on restart there was no pic but there were colored vertical 2" bands on each side of the screen framing a black center band. After that, no pic at all but the black screen with just a touch of light around the edges...very small almost pencil line thin light highlights. The symtoms made me consider putting a fan behind the TV to cool it. . . .I checked my dish for snow (we are getting hammered) and it was clear. My malfucntion is not like a common snow blocked dish anyway. No lost signal msg. . . .Incidentally, my old Polaroid weights probably 2.5 X the Emerson. ..................again. . thanks chas.

Reply to
Chas

Those symptoms point squarely toward a problem with the tcon. Typically those will run in the $20 to $50 range. Certainly the inverter and backlights are eliiminated as a cause.

One piece of information that helps a great deal is the model number of the TV. Polaroid made more than half a dozen 32" LCD TVs.

PlainBill

Reply to
PlainBill

Bill, a private email to you was blocked so I ask more help here.

Bill, It was manufactured Apr 2006. Newer than I thought. Model # 3200. Product # FLM323B. Dist. by Petter Consumers Brands, . . .Minne. . . . . Bill, is the 'tcon' a transformer or inverter type assembly? I could replace that by myself, if I had an address where to get one online. Sure would help to have a hint as to what it may look like and where it possibly may 'live. Sure appreciate your support.. . .chas

Chas

Chas,

The tcon (timing and control) is a circuit board. It takes the video information from the main board, translates it into X, Y and intensity information and drives the appropriate pixels at the proper brightness. If you look at the main board of the TV you will probably see a shielded cable disappearing under a cover at the top of the panel. The tcon is behind the panel.

The manufacturer of an LCD panel will include the tcon and backlights as part of the assembly. And there lies the problem. One popular source for parts like this is 'ShopJimmy'. They list three different tcons for this TV; searching eBay for 'FLM323B tcon' brings up pictures of three different tcons. Prices range from $10 to over $50, but be careful, a tcon for a CMO panel will not work with an AUO panel.

Your task will be to take the back off the set, attempt to locate the tcon, and identify which tcon you have.....

My email address is disguised. A little thought should allow you to discern the real name of the host. Certainly the $@%%@ spammers can.

PlainBill

Reply to
PlainBill