Mura (cloudiness) on larger LCD tv's

I recently bought a Samsung LN-S4695D 46" LCD television. In general I like the TV, except that dark scenes display vertical bars of lighter area extending approximately 6 inches in from each side (i.e., 6" wide bars on each end the height of the display) . This is especially apparent in

16x9/full screen images. I have seen quite a bit of comment on Sonys this size regarding this defect. I guess I expected better from a $2500 television. I'm wondering if some of the experts here would comment on this effect and any possible remedies. Is a set that has this problem simply defective/irreparable? I am still within the 30 day return period (Circuit City) but this is not an easy item to return, given its size. Any input appreciated.

Dan

Reply to
Dan

You might muck around in here or some adjacent forum and see if your model is discussed:

Roy Starrin

Thansk Roy, yeah I've been on that one. There is discussion of the problem on the set. Apparently it uses the same screen as the 46" Sonys, which also have a lot of comment re: this issue.

I'd like to know what the technical basis of this is. I gather it relates to the way the screen is backlit.

Dan

Reply to
Dan

Have you been to the dedicated thread?

There is also this, which has was in the Sony Kv2500 Calibration thread

Beyond that, I'm at a loss. Am not a techie. Just came across this while doing research as to what my next (first) LCD will be.

Reply to
Roy Starrin

Dan,

Did you return your Samsung? I just purchased the same model on Amazon.com and am noticing the exact same problem. Is this a defect?

Eric

Reply to
ewilkes

Most likely just a design pushing the limits of the technology. LCD screens work OK up to 26-27" (with a few OK at 32"), but the consensus of Consumer Reports and the like is that for a screen larger than 32", you bite the bullet and go with plasma.

We're 90% happy with our 26" Sharp: the view angle isn't a wide as I would like and large black areas are more dark gray than black - both typical of LCDs.

John

Reply to
John

'Twas that way once, but no longer. Read the March 2007 Consumer Reports. My family room is too bright to bite the plasma bullet

Reply to
Roy Starrin