LCD TV not working - inverter or backlight dead?

My 17 month 32" LCD monitor appears to have suffered an untimely death this evening. When I turned it on, it briefly displayed the screen image from the computer but then began making a somewhat high-pitched chirps (1 per second) during which the screen flickered. After about

10 seconds the screen went black, though the chirping continued. Now, when I turn on the monitor, although the "green light" on the button indicates it is on, the screen remains black and it only emits chirps.

Does this failure sound like the inverter, backlight, or something else (ie. something that I can't replace myself.)?

Thanks in advance.

-Greg

Reply to
Greg

If you shine a strong light at the screen, can you see an image in there ? If so, then the backlight has failed, and the chirping is probably its inverter. As you have a steady green light, this would imply that the main PSU is working, so not where the noise is coming from.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Yes, that's it. I turned on the TV to do the flashlight thing and the screen even briefly showed the computer image before going dark again. However, when I shone the light onto the screen, I could just make out the image.

So it is the inverter. Now I've gotta find a shop that either will sell me the right replacement inverter or can do it themselves.

Thanks for your help.

-Greg

Reply to
Greg

OK. You could try looking at

where you might find something suitable.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Depending on how many hours the set has on it could also warrant you replacing the ccfl backlight bulbs. I've also read if one fails it can prevent the inverter from firing.

#1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
#1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007
#1 Bartlo Pset, March 13-24 2007
#10 Most hated Usenetizen of all time
COOSN-266-06-25794