UK Customs and test equipment

Just ordered new on Ebay a cheap DSOscilloscope ~£300, source is China via Hong Kong - delivery expected approx 14 days post via DHL or similar

- just wondered what can be expected as far as customs charges into UK or whether they bother with stuff like this, I have had meters etc and not had any charges but those were much cheaper than this is - others must have been down this route! Thanks ...

Reply to
Charlie+

in europe, when you buy something less than ?45, you are free of vat charges if it is more, you will have some 20% vat charges on it if it travels thought private carriers (dhl, ups, fedex) you are certain to get vat all the time if you are close to the ?45 if it is public service (usps, china post, ) you sometimes have luck... but for £300 you are pretty sure to have a 20% bill with your packet ... it must be almost the same rules for UK

--
----------
Kripton

the ESR Repository @ http://kripton2035.free.fr/esr-repository.html
the Geiger Repository @ http://kripton2035.free.fr/geiger-repositor.html
Reply to
Kripton

charges

plus an admin charge, plus VAT on that

Reply to
N_Cook

On Wed, 14 Mar 2012 11:08:06 +0100, Kripton wrote as underneath my scribble :

Thanks for the info folks!

Reply to
Charlie+

It's actually a lottery as to whether you get charged anything. I've had stuff of that value where it has sailed straight through. I've also been charged an admin fee on occasion, and also import duty and VAT on others. Sometimes, the Chinese mark the export document up as "Engineering Sample - value $10", and then it tends to get through. I bought a hot air desoldering station that came like this, and it was just delivered with no additional charges. A friend also bought one, and he got hammered for duty and VAT, so until it arrives, you just can't tell. As it happens, another friend bought a Chinese DSO like yours for about the same value, and his was delivered without additional charge. And in case you're wondering if what you have bought is very good, he has been delighted with the performance and usability of his. He is a professional self-employed design engineer.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

On Thu, 15 Mar 2012 02:24:36 -0000, "Arfa Daily" wrote as underneath my scribble :

Thanks Arfa, yes a meter I baught sailed through at about £110 so - suck it and see but be prepared - seems to be a good philosophy!! I try to go with UK suppliers but this sort of stuff just isnt available here at a reasonable price even if you added the VAT cost. C+

Reply to
Charlie+