Nuisance fastners - winge

The fan is too big for a plastic bucket. I considered cardboard but it was far from clear to me that it was going to be strong enough without bracing that would further complicate the task.

This isn't a research project. I was looking for a solution that would definitely work, and be robust.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Yes, I can use it to throw-up into whenever I imagine your face.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

e a

ght

w.

Classic comeback Sylvia ! AAA+

Reply to
kreed

Would this work?

F Murtz

ht

.

Some of those larger black plastic pot plant containers might be big enough, also are sturdy, UV resistant (since used outdoors in a garden).

Cut a piece of plywood to fit the window gap, cut a hole in the ply suit the diameter of the pot, (and at the right height to suit the fan) cut the bottom out of the pot, and screw the pot to the ply.

This might make a big enough, and very strong duct for relatively little cost. IIRC those pots are sturdy enough so that they aren't likely to flap around in the wind. You can probably paint them any colour you like, if you don't like black colour.

You will probably have to paint the plywood on the outside in order to avoid it rotting from exposure to the elements.

and most have a thick rim that you could scre

Reply to
kreed

During the recent heat wave, it was noticeable that even

doesn't drop that much. The problem is lack of air

as near as possible to a window, the fan blades are

it might be. If I could reverse the direction of

much closer to the window.

No worries, though it's 10' above the ground. I'll just cantelever out a shelf, and a shelter (fan's not waterproof, and weather forecasts are not sufficiently reliable), get a sparky in to do the weatherproof electrics (which I could do myself but am not legally permitted to in this Australian nanny state), and it'll be fine.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Looks just the job. Do they come with a through glass mounting kit?

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

It's an interesting idea. I'll have to look at what size pots are available (and how much they weigh) next time I'm at the hardware store.

Mind you, plywood doesn't come cheap :(

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Sylvia's house where the fans don't blow, they suck.

Reply to
keithr

Curiosity, good! I'd hire you as an apprentice at my pinball shop.

Not sure about 'stalled' here, unless the gearing is designed to not allow reverse direction I am having trouble understanding the problem here.

(to previous poster) Right, no lateral thinking in the female of the species? Explain that to Madame Curie, Margaret Thatcher (OK, not a great example), my daughter (5 year physics and math major), and so on...

You can't get a permit to do your own home wiring in Australia? Pity. Here in most of Canada - as long as the city (or relevant jurisdiction) electrical inspector OKs the job (permit required) - then the handy homeowner is permitted to do their own work - obviously one does it to the electrical code. I did quite a bit of improvements to my previous home, the inspector came in, examined a few random spots (opened sockets, boxes, etc) and like what he saw and signed off on the job. If he wasn't happy I would have had to open every box to show the job. This inspection was before I put the wallboard up of course!

John :-#)#

                     www.flippers.com
John Robertson

Nup. Well, not unless you become a professional electrician, which requires an apprenticeship, AND pay the annual licence fee.

Here in Aussieland, you cannot so much as replace a light switch with an identical model.

You can be on a remote farm, 100s of kilometers from anywhere, and if a lampholder breaks, you have to call in a sparky.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

If you want to save money go second-hand. eg: the powdercoated zinc-alume treated sheet steel front off a dead washing machine can probably had for a few bucks (if not less) from a scrap-metal place , recycle market, or appliance repairer.

A demolition yard will probably have used flooring ply "cheap".

19mm (typical flooring thickness) is probably overkill strength-wise but should fit the winbdow track ok.

Another thing you can do is ask in the wood part of the hardware shop for a coversheet. Coversheets are the factory soiled sheets of ply (or mdf etc) that are used to protect the top and bottom sheets in the stack during shipping. 2.4x1.2m so youll need be prepared to transport something that big. they will usually be significantly cheaper as they can't be used for the normal purpose of the product.

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

Not a chance and with good reason

Pity.

We have a system of indentured trades people , we also have 240ac and

415 ac electrical systems and the average home is fused to 120 amps or more at the fuse box with individual power sockets to 10 amp@ 240v , you generally only get once mistake at those levels hence the inability to do your own work The same with telecommunications equipment you have to use a trady or suffer huge fines , thanks mainly to a few home installers doing serious damage to local exchanges over the years
--
Reply to
atec77

ge

e.

bly

We could also mention Anna Bligh, Christina Kennealy, Julia Gillard if you want the opposite of that.

Not here, it is a closed (union) shop - with "jobs for the boys" This has been going on for the past 40 odd years (in QLD) that I am aware of, and probably longer.

Having said that, electrical fittings are readily available for sale to the public through pretty much all hardware stores, as well as a more limited range in many supermarkets (plugs, power sockets etc)

I know of one totally unlicensed electrician locally who openly does work for people and commercial premises (for cash in hand). Has the attitude "have no assets that can be taken, so cant be sued".

There is 240/415v involved whereas Canada is 120/240 IIRC.

Reply to
kreed

Work by non trades people is not as dangerous as some people seem to think.If you take the thousands and thousands of electrical items sold in supermarkets etc the vast majority of which are installed illegally by non licensed people and compare statistically the number of incidents this causes you may realize it is not the problem alarmists may think. If it were such a problem the powers that be would stop the non licensed obtaining them.

Reply to
F Murtz

One death or injury is to many and considering some of the incredibly stupid electrical work getting done I cant agree

just people driving while disqualified

--
Reply to
atec77

We could allow people to attend courses, and get certificates allowing them to do home electrical work. How hard can it be?

We live in a world full of dangers. Electricity is nothing special in that respect.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

.

f etc)

There is plenty of wood in various forms at the rubbish dump sale shop locally - cheap, including old doors, offcuts etc

If you think about it, you only need 4 strips a few inches wide, remember that most of the centre will be cut out for the fan

If you were that hard up, and were local, I would cut out the thing for you myself for nothing, as I have plenty of bits here that could be used.

Reply to
kreed

All it takes is some cardboard or light ply gaffer and silastic

--
Reply to
atec77

Frequency difference only means the fans would spin a bit slower @ 50Hz than at 60Hz. About 16% (1/6th) slower...not enough to matter I'm sure - just turn it up one speed.