Nuisance fastners - winge

I had occasion to dismantle a cheap pedestal fan the other day (Coles Home Collection). It hadn't failed, but I wanted to see how it was wired up (that's another story).

The cover to the button panel was held in place by four screws which were identical except that two were philips head type, and the other two had a triangular socket in the head.

I have bits to cope with most things I've encountered, but not those. What's the point? Are they worried about competition for repairing these $10 fans?

Do consumers regularly electrocute themselves by taking fans apart without knowing what they're doing?

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

I just used a small flat blade screwdriver to remove them. Got to be the right size though to jam along one flat of the triangle.

-- Sell your surplus electronic components at

Search or browse for that IC, capacitor, crystal or other component you need. Or find new components at

Alan

Well, I got one of them undone using a tri-wing bit, but stripped the other attempting to do the same thing. However, I managed to see what I wanted to see.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

attempting to do the same thing. However, I managed to

Which was ? Is there a point to this thread apart from the type of screw you couldn't screw ?

Reply to
fritz

ed

wo

se

And how was it wired up ?

Reply to
kreed

screw ?

The point is stupid is as stupid does (syliva) the screws are the manufactures way of saying no user serviceable parts do not open

--
Reply to
atec77

I'm reminded of an old Rodriguez cartoon in Popular Electronics.

First panel: On a large speaker cabinet. "to prevent shock do not remove cover"

Second panel: Owner taking out a LOT of screws.

Third panel: Owner on floor clutching chest. Inside of huge cabinet has 2" transistor radio speaker inside.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeffrey Angus

screw ?

It is their lawyer's way of attempting to avoid lawsuits.

Teflon coated.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

They are only a tamperproof head of which there are various and easily available.. Wait until you come across a coffin head screw.I believe the reason for using them is that some countries prevent the dismantle of an appliance without the use of a tool or special tool so this way all fields are covered in one assembly. Did you find out how it worked. They are made to break. Best way to keep them longer is to keep the Blades clean and lubricate the bearings NOT with WD40 or the like.

Metro

Reply to
Metro

In a particular way.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

As I said, it hadn't broken. I was actually trying to figure out which wire was which leading to the induction motor. I had in mind making it run backwards. Aerofoils don't perform as well backwards, but they do perform. However, on further consideration I realised that the fan blades would be aerodynamically stalled if the fan ran backwards, with the result that it would probably not work much at all.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

screw ?

Not really. The word "winge" in the subject line should have hinted at that.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else