Nuisance fastners - winge

In that case it ought to be reversible - but I would still consider making a replacement fan if you want a reasonably efficient reversed airflow..

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk

If is is only for a short time, get a cheap ceiling fan and bung it in a bit of thin mdf and have it suck in instead of out.Or whichever way you fancy.

Reply to
F Murtz

les

d up

ch

o had

se.

these

ily

e the

of an

re

and

ch

it run

rform.

ld be

at it

We had the same problem, I put a Woolies pedestal fan right in front of the window on the inside, and used it that way. It works well, but I agree that if you could mount it in the open window directly it would work a lot better. Currently it sits about 25cm inside of the window opening due to the stand.

The box fan would probably be a better idea. Could put a shelf or something under the window, and sit it on there.

Another (depending on the amount of air these things move, their appearance, and the fact that the shaded pole motor and blade is exposed on the back) could be use bathroom type exhaust fan(s) mounted through a piece of plywood that sits in the open section of the window. ?

If the window has a good height, you might be able to try one at the top blowing out the hot air and one at the bottom blowing in cool ?

Reply to
kreed

ich

are

ich

While on the subject of ceiling fans, void those Arlec ones at Bunnings, they are flat out getting up any sort of airflow, and the motor is very lightweight. They are also the first fan I have ever seen that includes a "blade balancing kit" which includes a few flat pieces of steel and double sided tape for mounting them.

Their highest speed setting is about the same as a lowest speed settings on your standard "airflow" ceiling fan that electricians usually install.

Reply to
kreed

I may have mislead people I meant ceiling exhaust fan

Reply to
F Murtz

If we are talking temporary would some the use of some thickish polythene sheet and gaffa tape be out of the question (to 'join' the fan to the window opening)?

We have a split unit aircon unit in the (unoccupied) middle bedroom but with all the bedroom doors open and the landing separated from the rest of the house via a temporary 'curtain of polythene sheet tacked to a baton and attached to the ceiling (by just 2 screws) works very well at cooling all the bedrooms.

And no one here GsAF what it looked like, just that it worked ...

Well, for the 2 weeks we call 'summer' here in the UK anyway. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Perhaps, though one would have to be concerned that one just ended up creating a flow from the bottom to the top with little penetration into the room. Something to experiment with, I suppose.

My thinking is to take two box fans, remove their feet, and attach them to a wooden frame that can be slotted into the groves normally used by the horizontally sliding window. It would make something that could be quickly attached as needed, and equally easily removed when not. Any spare window space would be blocked off, so that air pumped in would push other air out of the house wherever it could escape.

BTW, I've been using a box fan to force ventilate an underhouse store room where he had something of a drain overflow. After running continously for a month, its bearings are stuffed. Me thinks they're not designed for that level of use.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Dont know why I bother ,I new I was invisible.

Reply to
F Murtz

{...]

Cardboard box?

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk

the recent heat wave, it was noticeable that even

doesn't drop that much. The problem is lack of air

near as possible to a window, the fan blades are

it might be. If I could reverse the direction of

closer to the window.

Stick the fan outside, blow the air inside. Lateral thinking is absent in the female of the species.

Rubbish - use paper and glue - you obviously have plenty of time on your hands......

fritz

FWIW.. A motor with 2 identical windings in series, is a PSC permanent split capacitor motor.

Electrically, in a PSC motor the windings are the same as a center-tapped transformer, having 3 leads.

PSC motors can be run in either direction, and that's one of their unique features, a single-phase AC motor that can be instantly reversed (which single-phase AC motors generally can't do, without allowing them to stop before reversing).

-- Cheers, WB .............

Reply to
Wild_Bill

Does that mean it's two-phase?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

;-)

Jeff

Reply to
Jeffrey Angus

During the recent heat wave, it was noticeable that even

doesn't drop that much. The problem is lack of air

as near as possible to a window, the fan blades are

it might be. If I could reverse the direction of

much closer to the window.

Do you have data for the structural properties? Also, a mathematical model of the pressure differential across an insect-screen?

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Don't you have window fans where you live?

You can get them here (USA) for $20 JC

Reply to
Archon

rote:

Never seen them, but they would be perfect for what Sylvia wants to achieve I think. They are on Ebay, but all from the USA.

Note that most modern Australian windows slide horizontally - as long as this works sideways and will fit the opening, should be fine.

Reply to
kreed

I found Lasko's web site. None of the instruction sheets (which I thought might specify the power) seem to exist. So I emailed the webadmin whose address was given on the web site. That email address appears not to exist either (it bounced).

I hope they're better at making fans than they are at maintaining web sites.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

.

es.

These fans are also available on Ebay - search "window fan" and "outside australia" and there are several identical models. The sellers might be able to help ?

Reply to
kreed

I presume I'd need to buy a step down transformer, and then there's the issue of the different frequency.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

I guess you didn't consider cardboard and packing tape then :) or a cheap plastic bucket?

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

I can think of another use for a bucket in sylivas case

--
Reply to
atec77