Norcent 42" Plasma TV

Someone recently brought in a Norcent PT4235 plasma TV. It had apparently "just quit". When I plug it in, the relays click a couple of times like it's trying to start, and a bit of static flashes on the screen, but that's it. I looked under the back cover and didn't see any bulged or leaking caps, nor did I find any obvious shorts in the many high-wattage transistors. Before I go any further with this, I'd like to know if there are any known issues that someone could point me to. This set has a massive number of power supplies in it, and I really don't want to waste several hours on something that may not be fixable in the first place. This is a very cheap brand of set (retailed for just $700 new), so I doubt it's worth spending much time on. Thanks for any advice.

Reply to
Chris F.

It's a slim shot, but you might try (when powered down) measuring resistance from the output side of all voltage regulators and rectifiers looking for a short to ground. (Often the rectifiers are TO-220 packages). Saved my ass once recently. A Samsung plasma with power supply issues - and the board no longer available from Samsung. Robbed a TO-220 rectifier of the same type off a scrap board.

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark Zacharias

A common cause of this problem is a shorted sustain card. This appears to use an LG panel. One troubleshooting method on these panels is to unplug the TV, disconnect the cable linking the power supply to a sustain card, then plug the TV in again and see if the power supply turns on. If that didn't help,disconnect the next sustain card.

PlainBill

Reply to
PlainBill47