Toshiba 42HP66 plasma TV Firmware update

I have a Toshiba 42HP66 plasma TV with random moving red speckles all over any dark areas of the picture. Other than the speckles, the panel is in like new condition, so I'd like to repair it if possible. I've already confirmed that the power supply voltages are correct, and checked for obvious problems like bad caps.

It uses an LG PDP42X32000 plasma panel, and this seems to be a common problem with LG panels. It is possible to reduce the speckles by readjusting the drive voltages, but I would rather fix it properly. I've read several posts on various discussion forums that say it can be fixed with a firmware update (I'm not sure if it's the TV, or the panel that needs the update). The TV can be updated via a USB stick according to the service manual, but Toshiba doesn't make these updates public.

Can anyone help me find a copy of the update? Even is a special service jig is needed to update the panel, I can probably figure something out if I had the file. I can always pull the EEPROM and use my programmer if I have to.

Reply to
Andy Cuffe

Obviously, company policies vary, but why wouldn't a firmware update be publicly available? Pioneer puts theirs on the Web and invites owners to perform their own updates.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

It's possible that they don't want the end user installing the update for some reason (like risk of damaging the TV if it's done incorrectly, or adjustments needed after the update). The post I'm referring to mentions the use of an update jig, which implies they are reprogramming the ROM on one of the boards, which obviously wouldn't be accessible to the user. I've already sent a message to the person who wrote this post, but I haven't heard back yet.

Here's a post that mentions the update:

"LG has a fix for this problem known to them by the term 'Mal Discharge' (sounds kind of gross but it is a term for the incorrect firing of pixels). An authorized LG service center will have access to a jig that upgrades the control board. I have used this jig many times on the 42PC1D and the 42PC3D as well as some Toshiba plasmas that were LG's in disguise. Adjusting the Vs, Va, VsetUp, and VsetDn out of spec may temporarily fix the problem but is not good for the panel or the drive boards. Before the tech can use the jig, he or she will have to re-align the panel according to factory specs (some of which are located on a sticker on the panel)."

Reply to
Andy Cuffe

Another post about an update to the control board:

"This problem is called mal-discharge.

To "fix" you will either need a new control board (which comes from LG with new firmware) or have the firmware updated on your old control board. Depending on panel there maybe slight voltage adjustments required also. Updating the control board requires a special jig most LG shops should have one.

Making adjustments on the y-sus will only mask the problem for awhile."

Reply to
Andy Cuffe

Toshiba Canada offers firmware, but I don't know if they have any for your model:

larry moe 'n curly

Unfortunately, there's nothing for my model. There is firmware on the US site for some TVs, but not this one. They don't even acknowledge that they ever sold a plasma TV in their support section.

This is the board that needs the update:

It's definitely not something that can be done by the customer since it requires connecting a cable to an update port on the board. I'm almost tempted to buy this replacement board, but I have no way to be sure it has the updated firmware.

Someone here must have access to the update? Is there a service bulletin for any of those brands listed?

Reply to
Andy Cuffe

elektrotanya small SUM pdf has some data info

Reply to
N_Cook