Is Plasma TV Dead?

Sony have dropped Plasma in favour of LCD technology...

So is this a sign that plasma is now dead?

Some people I have chatted to say that plasma is just a scam anyway due to short usage life and clarity issues...

Any comments welcome.

Reply to
Kissing Lettuce

i knew this the first time i saw a plasma unit in real life, poor res, poor colour depth, generally a forced technology. lcd might have some short commings, but lcd are a much better display tech than plasma can be.

plasma was always a stop-gap

Reply to
Matt2 - Amstereo

Please excuse me now if this is a silly question but what is the expression "forced technology" meant to mean?

And on the subject of plasma yeah the picture isn't as good as a comparably sized LCD or even a very large CRT...

Begs the question of why it was even invented in the first place and foisted on an unsuspecting market.

Reply to
Kissing Lettuce

: > > So is this a sign that plasma is now dead? : > >

: > > Some people I have chatted to say that plasma is just a scam : > > anyway due to short usage life and clarity issues... : > >

: > > Any comments welcome. : > >

: > >

: > i knew this the first time i saw a plasma unit in real life, poor res, : > poor colour depth, generally a forced technology. lcd might have some : > short commings, but lcd are a much better display tech than plasma can be. : >

: > plasma was always a stop-gap : : : : : Please excuse me now if this is a silly question but : what is the expression "forced technology" meant : to mean? : : And on the subject of plasma yeah the picture isn't : as good as a comparably sized LCD or even a very : large CRT... : : Begs the question of why it was even invented in : the first place and foisted on an unsuspecting market. : : How many 50"+ LCD and CRTs are available on the market at the moment?

TT

Reply to
TT

Most LCD screens still have issues with contrast ratio and the less than perfect picture when viewing at anything other than 90 deg to the screen in the vertical plane. Fortunately they have improved the lateral angle of viewing on LCD, but it doesn't hold a candle to plasma in that department either.

Like most technologies, the marketplace is the driving force. To get a large flat panel screen, plasma is the only viable technology at the moment. One would hope that LCD will improve with time and become a viable and economical alternative.

Cheers, Alan

Reply to
Alan Rutlidge

well plasma isn't a completed technology, yet they are being forsed apon us everywere we turn, They are ok as information displays like in airports, or out door displays, but they ARN'T SUITABLE for home entertainment use simply due to the poor colour depth.

Plasma's forced apon us yet most companies knew that Plasma has a lifespan (in both actual and technological ways) Big marketing for a shit technology.

Reply to
Matt2 - Amstereo

"Kissing Lettuce" wrote

Sony have dropped Plasma in favour of LCD technology...

***Where did you get this crap from ,Sony Australia deny this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brian Goldsmith.

Reply to
Brian Goldsmith

Tell that to the 10's of thousands of people who happily buy them and think they are the ducks guts. How else do you get a big flat screen cheaply? Nothing is being "forced" - you don't have to buy it if you don't want to, there are alternatives.

What if you only use it say 1 or 2 hours a day on average? I thought life spans were measured in the 10,000's of hours these days, that's a LOT of years at average usage for a lot of people.

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

Lie!

No! Plasma display is still miles ahead of LCD!

Yes! There are very cheap rubbish displays. These displays are outdated and below home cinema requirements. But high definition plasma screens rule. LCD is NOT suitable for video at all. LCD is too slow. There is no real black, and colour smearing watching DVD is terrible. HD plasma rules.

Wake up! All you have to do is go to any shop with lots of them. Than watch some nice movie on 106cm+ HD plasma and LCD disply. Of course, bigger is better. You are not, I shall repeat NOT supposed to sit in front of display. You have to go back untill you do not see individual pixels on the plasma screen.

What a load of crap....

Reply to
hadda hadda

Sony may have stopped SELLING plasmas, but they never actually MADE them. The Sony plasma TVs were actually made by Samsung. In fact I believe that all the plasma panels are made in one or two factories in China.

Personally, I bought a plasma TV because LCD technology just isn't quite there yet, large HD LCDs are extremely expensive, their contrast ration is poor compared to plasma, and there also seems always to be a "Haloing" effect on large changes in luminance. There also seems a tendancy to posterisation in most of them that I have seen.

If you look up close then the apparent resolution of the LCD units is better, but that is not how you watch a big screen TV, and at normal viewing distances, there is no apparent difference in resolution between an LCD and a plasma.

One day, the LCD will take over, but if you want a big screen Hi Def TV today, plasma has the advantage.

Keith

Reply to
Keithr

Couldn't have put it better myself. LCD technology, while being good, has not had the many years of development that the CRT has. Contrast and viewing angles leave a lot to be desired. I use two flat LCD displays with my PCs and they look pretty good because you always look at them from the ideal position but even so one of them (a wide-screen ACER) has real problems with black and the other one is just acceptable.

Reply to
Fred At Home