ATX power supply fan noisy.

I would like to replace this two-wire, 80mm square, power supply fan. The power supply is used in an AudioReQuest music server and is powered on continuously. The part number is, NMB-MAT 7 followed by a model number of,

3110GL-B4W-B54. 12V DC, 0.30A. I've found a few places online that have them listed but when I call they, don't have them in stock or the price is prohibitively expensive. Is there some generic fan that will replace this and not cost more than the power supply itself?

Thanks for your reply.

--
David Farber
David Farber's Service Center

Get the data sheet for that fan (it's probably old, hence out of production), and compare with the information available on this page for newer fans.

Then find your local retailers for the equivalent.

--
Adrian C
Reply to

Is there a Fry's near you? It has a variety of fans, in various sizes. You can probably find a close or exact match.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Yes, there are Fry's in my neighborhood. I will check it out.

Thanks for your reply.

--
David Farber
David Farber's Service Center
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
David Farber

Any 2-wire, 80mm, 12VDC, 0.30A (approx) will do. Got a Radio Shack nearby?

will do.

Probably cheaper at some place like Frys.

Reply to
UCLAN

David Farber Inscribed thus:

Depends where you are my local sells them for £0.50p !

--
Best Regards:
                     Baron.

Find another fan that has the same mounting holes (80mm -- note the

*thickness* of the fan, also!) and operates at 12V with prohibitively expensive. Is there some generic fan that will replace this
Reply to
D Yuniskis

Sure, if you're to use cable ties and/or duct tape to mount it and assuming the replacement isn't thicker than the original.

Otherwise, it's good idea to check the thickness and mounting method.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

Is that, " £0.50p" some type of currency? (-;

How much is that in US dollars and cents?

--
David Farber
David Farber's Service Center
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
David Farber

JeffM

If you want long and quiet service, make sure that you get one with roller bearings, not the cheapo sleeve bearings.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

The

,

hem

If you caught it in time, you can try relubing the bearins which will get you by for a while.

Remove from PC and soak in 30 weight oil, clean up, put back in

I got another 6 months out of mine

Reply to
Robert Macy

Well, that particular model is no longer made, but the 3110 series were

1" (0.98") fans with a standard mounting hole pattern. The same hardware that was used to mount his old fan would work on the RS model.
Reply to
UCLAN

COOLER MASTER SAF-B82-E1 80mm Case Fan

Andy

JeffM Inscribed thus:

Thanks Jeff. :-) Beat me to doing the conversion to 75cents.

--
Best Regards:
                Baron.

Hi!

That NMB fan is actually a pretty good quality unit, although I have seen some failed ones over the years.

What you might do to extend its lifetime is to simply oil the bearings. That will quiet it down and keep it running for many more years to come. Just lift the label, remove a little rubber plug (only with some fans) and drop some light oil in there.

Even if you replace the fan, you might want to do the same thing to the replacement. Doing so can drastically increase the lifetime of the fan, especially if the replacement is cheap.

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh

Wow. I'm on the wrong side of the pond. )-:

--
David Farber
David Farber's Service Center
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
David Farber

Since this is for a client, it needs to last longer than 6 months. Also, the cost of transporting it back and forth costs more than the fan replacement.

--
David Farber
David Farber's Service Center
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
David Farber

I think we have a winner! $6.99 and free shipping. Tough to beat that.

--
David Farber
David Farber's Service Center
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
David Farber

Hi William,

Thanks for the tip on extending the lifetime of the fan.