No sound output on abit IP35 Pro MB with Realtek Audio

Ok, that means you have a working sound chip, but no connection between the chip and the speaker. I can't tell where it's broken from here. If you can identify the Realtek sound chip, perhaps you can find the data sheet and identify the sound output pin. Then, use a scope to see if it's putting out any sound at the chip. If there's sound at the chip, but not at the output connector, you have a motherboard with a possible broken trace, blown audio amp (if present), or broken coupling cazapitor.

Ooops. I forgot that it default to the timer sound output instead of the sound output. I wrote that in 1985 and my memory is becoming rather ummm.... dynamic.

Some motherboard run the PC speaker audio through the sound card. Apparently, this one does not. So much for that idea.

I'll keep looking for some DOS based diagnostics with a sound test. It may have to wait until I drag myself to my palatial office sometime next week.

You might find something useful under this review: (9 pages) This might be a diversion but could be causing the sound to be muted: Viiv support (i.e. support for Quick Resume technology, which allows the PC to imitate the behavior of TV sets, where by pressing the power button located on the remote control the screen goes dark, the sound is muted and the keyboard and mouse stop responding)"

Bingo. It's a Realtek ALC888 sound chip. Digging...

Data sheet link is at the bottom of the page. Section 6.2 shows front audio outputs on pins 35 and 36. Dust off the oscilloscope and see if there's any sound on those pins.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Laterally rotated. Instead of having the reference at bottom left it was at the top left. The pcb was correctly marked.

Mmm. I've only seen that kind of thing on counterfeit boards. Which as it happens is where I saw the sound chips rotated.

--
Best Regards:
                     Baron.

I know that logic dictates using the motherboard maker's website for drivers, but I have found that a generic driver from the chip maker will sometimes work when the OEM driver doesn't. It might be worth a try, anyway:

[realtek.com.tw]

Good Luck :)

Reply to
Sofa Slug

I see that snipurl is blocking my link for some reason - here is the direct link:

Sofa Slug

OK, failures I can believe. This one supposedly worked at some point, maybe. :)

Thanks!

--
    sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ: http://www.repairfaq.org/
+Lasers | Sam\'s Laser FAQ: http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/lasersam.htm

subject line.  Or, you can contact me via the Feedback Form in the FAQs.
Reply to
Samuel M. Goldwasser

Downloaded uGuru, works fine, still unrecognized device. But that seems to be on the Radeon X1800? video card.

Speakers run fine on PC next to it.

-- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Samuel M. Goldwasser

Hmmmm. I'm not sure I'm THAT determined to save $7 on an eBay sound card. :) Besides, you know what a rats nest it is inside a PC tower trying to get a scope probe in there! :)

A broken trace is certainly possible, but wouldn't it have to be at least two broken traces?

Thanks for all your efforts! :)

--
    sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ: http://www.repairfaq.org/
+Lasers | Sam\'s Laser FAQ: http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/lasersam.htm

subject line.  Or, you can contact me via the Feedback Form in the FAQs.
Reply to
Samuel M. Goldwasser

"This snipurl has been deleted or is private"

Thanks! :)

--
    sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ: http://www.repairfaq.org/
+Lasers | Sam\'s Laser FAQ: http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/lasersam.htm

subject line.  Or, you can contact me via the Feedback Form in the FAQs.
Reply to
Samuel M. Goldwasser

Sigh. It's probably easier to just cram in a different sound card. Still, it's worth spending a few minutes with a scope trying to determine the cause. Your time, you decide.

Sure. If I'm doing motheboard repair, I need access to the bottom of the board, which requires running everything outside the box. I have a plywood fixture for doing that.

Good point. However, if there's a common audio power amplifier or a broken sweat solder job on the output connector, it's possible to break both at the same time.

Incidentally, did you ever try the sound INPUTS to see if the chip is alive and well? Plug in a microphone and use the Windoze sound recorder for testing.

Also, this is kinda dumb and obvious, but might be the problem. The chip has multiple outputs which can be switched in software. Go unto: control panel -> sound and audio -> advanced or just double click the speaker icon in the system tray. That should display a list of "playback devices". Make sure nothing is muted, none of the controls are set to zero, and that all the outputs are correctly enabled (not muted).

Glad to be of some help.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

No ! the sound never worked. Counterfeit Chinese mainboards. A sound card was added, plugged into a PCI slot to get around the issue. A case of scrap them or use them. Minimise the loss !

--
Best Regards:
                     Baron.

Well at my normal hourly rate of $0.10, it might be worth it. :)

True enough.

I guess I need to do this.

The Reaktek control panel recognizes a mic being plugged in but doesn't enable the associated controls for it???? Sounds recorder doesn't seem to capture anything.

--
    sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ: http://www.repairfaq.org/
+Lasers | Sam\'s Laser FAQ: http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/lasersam.htm

subject line.  Or, you can contact me via the Feedback Form in the FAQs.
Reply to
Samuel M. Goldwasser

I have Realtek HD audio on this MSI board with NForce chipset. I think the audio is perfect and surely wouldn't discredit Realtek, one of the oldest manufactures of onboard and peripheral electronics including networking and audio devices.

Reply to
Meat Plow

I have a bin full of working PCI audio cards, would you like one for free?

Reply to
Meat Plow

Sure, there may be some shining examples I haven't come across. The fact that your chipset is HD must mean they took some care on that one ;-)

As much as possible, if I'm using an onboard sound chipset I try and find an S/PDIF output and use an outboard DAC connected to that. I find some sources of music that ye get via broadband really benefits from that. Nice, non-flabby and crisp ;-)

--
Adrian C
Reply to

I also have an M-Audio Delta 44 card in the same PC used for multi track recording so I can take some work projects home. Comparing the onboard sound to the Delta I don't hear a difference. I use a Bose Companion 3 for the onboard sound.

And Sennheiser HD280PR headphones from a Mackie Onyx 1220 mixer for the Delta 4x4 card.

This is what I use at work

Along with a Dell 370 DAW dual screens and two Lynx AES16 interface cards. The Mackie DXB provides word clock for the DAW 44.1khz sync via its Sane Wave AES/EBU digital circuit hence the DAW is slaved and not used for anything but editing and the final mixdown.

For 32 channels bidirectional.

We've been using Sony Vega Pro but have been having issues with its MMC transport stability. MMC happens over a pair of M-Audio 4x4 Midisport modules. An average project of around 90 minutes occupies over 100 gigs of PCM WAV files on the DAW.

I'm currently evaluating Adobe Audition. The MMC is much more stable but we have several unfinished projects in Vegas and they cannot be exported or imported unless we manually do it which would take months since nothing was properly named (before my assumption of the role as head audio engineer.)

Reply to
Meat Plow

Too late. I bought a card on eBay. Probably a POS but only $6.41 with shipping. Creative Sound Blaster Live CT4780. But if you have one that's better, I'll take you up on your offer. :)

Thanks!

--
    sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ: http://www.repairfaq.org/
+Lasers | Sam\'s Laser FAQ: http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/lasersam.htm

subject line.  Or, you can contact me via the Feedback Form in the FAQs.
Reply to
Samuel M. Goldwasser

Installing speakers in bathrooms on US Navy ships? ;-)

--
The movie \'Deliverance\' isn\'t a documentary!
Reply to

har har har

Reply to
Meat Plow