Need to repair many IBM G74 Monitor, Model #6547-0AN

I am part of an I.T. shop for a company that has many many many of these IBM G74 monitors. They are gradually starting to all have problems

  1. Very dark - Brightness/Contrast controls are not effective and are maxed out

  1. Display wider than screen - Width adjustment has very little effect

We have so many, but I'd like to figure out what to look for and how to repair them. I'm really starting to feel stupid and wasteful when we are told to just "junk 'em" and get another. They're fantastic monitors. I am sure the company (or at least the organization that I support) would be somewhat impressed if I could repair them with little trouble and expense.

The other rather embarrassing fact is that I have a EE degree! It was almost all book-smarts if you know what I mean and was not really electronics, per se. I have not been in the electronics nor the engineering world since 1991! I have a FLUKE DMM (at home...don't have the model # with me) and I have soldering tools. I actually have access to an entire workforce of component people (our value add shop), but I'd like to eventually do this myself.

Can anybody help me here?

Thanks, John

PS, I'm in the DFW area (Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas)

--
ferkee
Reply to

Some monitors have an extra adjustment on the circuit board.

Indicates 'blooming' of the images. See

That'll cut you no slack in any repair shop.

NSM

See this thread

Apparently there is a 3.3uF NP cap which goes high ESR and causes width to "max out". Don't know about the brightness problem.

Reply to
Ross Herbert

For the brightness problem, look at the heater in the neck of the tube, is it glowing normally? If not then you might have a bad capacitor in the power supply. If the heater is ok and HV is present, chances are the tube is shot.

For the width issue look for a bad capacitor somewhere around the horizontal section.

Oh and do NOT under any circumstances try to adjust out either of the faults unless you want to make the monitor not worth repairing.

Reply to
James Sweet

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 18:14:37 +0100, ferkee put finger to keyboard and composed:

According to the Google Groups archives, the width problem is due to a

3.3uF non polarized 65V capacitor.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

Do they have Samsung blue-label CRT's? If so, that's the problem.

Tom

Reply to
Tom MacIntyre