Moving magnet / Moving coil cartridges

I've been asked by someone, quoted funny money for a replacement B&O cartridge, to sort out something cheaper. Looking in a number of Bang & Olufsen Beogram manuals they never seem to specify whether MM or MC. Due to small physical size and their stock numbers always seem to be MMC.... i assume Moving Magnet Cartridge. I am aware of MM/MC selection switches on phono section of amps but is there a significant impedance or level or equalisation requirement that cannot be accommodated by volume & tone controls? Obviously a large bog standard moving coil cartridge will look ugly, which he is aware, and I'll have to mount it on the tone-arm above and set back from the end of the B&O arm and add counter-balancing weight at other end. But will it function well enough for music non-purist ? Any ideas on fairing/ masking so as to disguise the bulky and bodged appearance. ?

Diverse Devices, Southampton, England electronic hints and repair briefs , schematics/manuals list on

N Cook

Why would you care? I haven't ever seen a MC cart IIRC.

None I can imagine.

and

God's teeth don't do that. He needs to bite the bullet and buy the real thing - look on eBay, maybe he'll get lucky.

NSM