IBM computer monitor

Hi,

Hoping someone of you reading here could direct me to information on the dis-assembly of a so-called IBM model E74 17 inch monitor. I recently was given one, and it has something rattling around inside of it, and also shows physical damage at one corner of its plastic enclosure. Amazingly enough, it works great (I tried it before I noticed the damage).

I searched for a bit at the IBM site, and on google-groups, but to no avail - the main prob so far is I can't figure how to get it apart, there are no screw heads showing anywhere, but I'd like to get whatever loose bits out of there and give it a good cleaning, if needed, it says it was made in the year 2000.

Thanks for any tips, hints or links in advance.

Mike

Reply to
mike

Is this one of those with two slots on the top of the cover? If so, you need a sharp tapered instrument to release the plastic latches inside. Reply back and I can describe the tool.

Reply to
Ken

On Sun, 22 Nov 2009 13:29:06 -0800 (PST), mike put finger to keyboard and composed:

Locate the FCC ID on the label and search the FCC database:

In the results, select Details and hopefully the internal photos will show you the locations of the tabs that hold the covers together.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 10:47:53 +1100, Franc Zabkar put finger to keyboard and composed:

Is this it?

'H4IE74'

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

If it works, why are you trying to fix it?

Isaac

Reply to
isw

Well, it rattles when he shakes it. Why does he shake it? Dang if I know.

G=B2

Reply to
stratus46

Yes, I noticed those but was afraid to go probing around "in there" without knowing how that's supposed to work. Thanks for your reply.

Reply to
mike

'H4IE74'

That kinda resembles it, but the buttons are in the wrong place - I tried to locate the FCC info but the only numbers in that little box were 6332, which caused me to read the whole label further and discover the actual model #, as opposed to the 'E74' that's on the front of the monitor. Sorry for the misinformation.

Anyway, I found out there's about fifty different varieties of the

6332 listed on the Lenovo website, and none of the literature gives any info about dis-assembly, I suppose because there are no user serviceable parts.

BTW, that FCC website looks like a great resource. Thanks for your help. that I looked at so far gives even a hint of how to take 'em apart

Reply to
mike

Hmm, you must be one of those 'if it aint broke don't fix it guys' - I guess I'm more of a 'lets get a little familiar with it so that it may be a bit easier to deal with it if it does break' type a guy.

Reply to
mike

Because it was there?

Reply to
mike

I have sent you a message with an attachment describing the tool and how to use it. Let me know if you need more info.

Reply to
Ken

Got 'em, thanks - I'll have to see what I can come up with on my next day off.

Reply to
mike

I'd tend to go along with that -- it would be wise to ensure that it's not a metal object that's going to short something out. I once had a film projector where a spare fuse had dropped inside and was rolling around causing intermittent short circuits (but not taking enough current to self-destruct).

Chris

Reply to
chrisj.doran

Hi!

I like my monitortinis shaken, not stirred? (cue rimshot)

William (not quitting his day job)

Reply to
William R. Walsh

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 00:59:15 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com put finger to keyboard and composed:

I had a new AT PSU explode when I first turned it on. If I had shaken it before using it, I would have been alerted to a rivet that was floating about inside.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

James? James Bombed, is that really you? (yeah, I know, I'm a little slow, I'm not quitting my day job either)

Reply to
mike

In article , mike writes

You can open it with two small flat-blade screwdrivers, but you'll need three hands. Insert the screwdriver horizontally until they will go no further, then pull the handles up while a helper pulls the two halves of the case apart.

There is also a hex-head self-tapping screw (maybe two) under the tilt- n-swivel stand which need to be removed.

--
(\\__/)
(=\'.\'=)  Bunny says Windows 7 is Vi$ta reloaded.

Thank you for that bit of info, I hadn't managed to come up with the time or material to make anything yet, and had been wondering what to do with the new tools when I get them made.

Actually, there isn't, there are 2 locations that look like a good place for a couple of screws, but instead it looks like there are 2 blank-headed rivets or something, the heads of which are about 3/8 of an inch in diameter and totally smooth.

There is also a couple of springy elongated u-shaped plastic thingies along the bottom where the case-parts join; they kinda can be moved around a little bit if you squeeze 'em but they dont seem to have any effect on holding things together no matter which way they're moved around. Maybe after I've got the top separated they'll do something.

Thanks for your help, Another Mike

Reply to
mike

I made a couple little release-tools today and got into the monitor - there was about a half dozen little plastic bits floating around in there, no wonder it rattled - it was amazingly clean inside, though, I guess it's led a sheltered life, aside from being dropped once.

If I'd had a couple good real small diameter screwdrivers they probably would have worked for separating it, too.

Reply to
mike

On Fri, 4 Dec 2009 14:29:18 -0800 (PST), mike put finger to keyboard and composed:

When I used to attend computer auctions, the auctioneer would sometimes describe such equipment as "ex-Government, hardly ever used".

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar