Need help identifying 8 pin DIP used in Plasma PS PLEASE.

Hitachi 42PD9500TA Plasma TV. Symptom : High frequency buzz from PS

3 diodes found shorted , replaced, buzz persists. TV worked fine otherwise from start. Fault traced to this 8 pin dip smd IC with these no.s printed on it; 2A06810 5522 (MOTOROLA SYMBOL) No prefix before 5522. I plucked out this IC from another working 50" Hitachi plasma to confirm fault. The no.printed on the working IC is; 2A06905 5522 (MOTOROLA SYMBOL) Since the IC worked flawlessly on replacement i'm guessing the actual no. is 5522. The IC seems to be some kind of pwm controller, it feeds the Mosfets which drive the serial output transformer, and receives inputs from feedback winding on the primary side of the SRT and from the optocouplers. The Motorola semiconductor site provides no info, maybe this is supplied OE to Murata who supplies it's PS OE to Hitachi. Again , no schematic for the PS in the Hitachi service manual.They love us so much they want us to replace the entire board. Any idea what the prefix might be and where i can find a datasheet for the device? Jango
Reply to
jango2

[...]

It's a relatively simple process. Since this is an SMD part, the numbers probably are the marking code. This is an somewhat arbitrary number assigned by the manufacturer. In this case, I would suspect

2A06 might identify the product and the last three digits are the date code.

There are three approaches. The first is cheating: Consult the service manual. I note that it is available on

by either supplying a schematic they don't have or by paying $5 for a 1 month subscription.

A second approach is to identify the function of the IC (probably a voltage regulator) and it's exact package. Then search the Motorola data sheets looking for voltage regulators available in that package and using a marking code of either 2A0xxxx or 5522.

The third approach would be to use

to search for part numbers containing either of the above numbers.

I'm cheap, but I'd still spend the $5.

PlainBill

Reply to
PlainBill

On Wed, 13 May 2009 05:27:59 -0700 (PDT), jango2 put finger to keyboard and composed:

I thought Motorola's semiconductor division was spun off into ON Semiconductor.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

Nearly everything that used to be Motorola has been spun off. "Motorola - Reducing Our Way to Greatness!"

Sorry to be OT, but I couldn't help myself.

Jerry (Worked for Motorola's Government Electronics Group, spun off to General Dynamics in 2001. There, I feel better now.)

Reply to
JerryM

manuals.com/by either supplying a schematic

Thanks for taking time to reply Bill, I have the service manual, as usual the power supply schemafic and parts list are excluded. They call it "basic schematic". Searching for 2A06 leads me to an axial diode. One UED search reslust lists 2A06 as a "UED IC + transistors". I havent a clue what that means, to the best of my knowledge UED sells spares , they dont manufacture. Went hrough alldatasheet and simllar websites , came up with nothing. I decided to trace the schematic a bit further and for this mysterious

8 pin S08 device and came to the following coclusions; Pin 1 is an input, decoupled to ground and receives inpus from the emitter of a transistor and an optocoupler's emitter via a 3k3 resistor Pin 2 is an input receiving voltage from another optocoupler's collector. Pin 3 has a series 10 ohm resistor in series with a string of 2 diodes in series to ground, which have a string of two 0.1 ohm resistors in series across them.The emitter of a 2SD2012 power transistor also connects to the diode - 10 ohm junction (some kinda current sensing input????) Pin 4 is ground Pin 5 is the output and fires the gate of the main MOSFET. Pin 6 has a small electrolytic condensor to ground and a small smd cap to ground.(some reset, offset null or OE pin held quiet???) Pin 7 is not connected. Pin 8 is supply. Who am I? The moment i saw pin 8 vcc and pin 4 ground i was ecstatic and thought hey this could be an op amp, so i put in a 1458 and she smoked a bit , the set wouldnt start. So i guess we can rule out standard op amps. Jango :(
Reply to
jango2

Yep.

   \|/  \|/     it is illegal to kill them."    Perna condita delenda est
Bob Larter

Hang on , i just discovered the logo on the IC belongs to Murata. Looks pretty similar to the Motorola M within a circle, except this one's more like a small M within a larger C. Thanks Franc. Seems unlikely they'll share any datasheet info but i'm going to check. Seems unlikely they'll sell spares, i'm doomed :( , all this time wasted. They make ICs???????

Reply to
jango2

Maybe it's a filter?

   \\|/  \\|/     it is illegal to kill them."    Perna condita delenda est
Bob Larter

ta delenda est

Nah, just went through muratas SMD BLOCK TYPE EMI SUPPRESSION FILTERS CATALOGUE, nothing in a SO8 package there. Had an online cat with a customer rep, she said she'd mail me after she researches the info. She did state that "Sopheap Sear: I believe the first one is the date code." ie 2A06810, so 5522 would be the part no. Jango

Reply to
jango2

on

either supplying a schematic

I don't fully grasp the partial schematic you describe, but it screams 'pulse width modulated voltage regulator with external transistor'.

PlainBill

Reply to
PlainBill

ce-manuals.com/byeither supplying a schematic

Hey guys please take a look at the MC44608 datsheet here

Think this might be it? Pin 2 and 3 seem to be interchanged. Think i might be able to use this as a substitute?

Reply to
jango2

;

al

for

ary

te

la

I found a vestel plasma service manual with ps schematics;

Oh wait, this ones an even closer match, NCP1200, ON SEMICONDUCTOR

Your precious feedback pleeeeeeeease

Reply to
jango2

On Sat, 16 May 2009 06:52:08 -0700 (PDT), jango2 put finger to keyboard and composed:

here

What bothers me most is why the IC is sensing the current in a 60V

2SD2012 power transistor when one would expect it to be sensing the current in the MOSFET. I'd do a bit more tracing and find out what the transistor is doing.

I'd also use your good PSU to find out the actual switching frequency. The NCP1200 has three versions, 40kHz, 60kHz, and 100kHz. I would think that the magnetics would be optimised for a particular frequency.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

On Fri, 15 May 2009 06:33:25 -0700 (PDT), jango2 put finger to keyboard and composed:

Like this one?

They appear to make PSUs:

Maybe someone else makes/designs their ICs?

I tried a part number search for parts containing "5522" but came up empty. :-(

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

ous

des

cap

d text -

"Like this one?

". Yep Franc , that's the symbol and all the Hitachi Plasma power supplies i've seen are made by Murata. "Maybe someone else makes/designs their ICs?" Exactly, I'm thinking On Semi does. I'll trace further around the NPN on monday, The good PSU belonged to a 50" and that was delivered yesterday. Came in for blown lower panel driver, had to replace entire pcb due to inavailablility of replacement driver chip. Strangely NCP 1206 is excluded from On semis datasheets, they have a 1205 and a 1207, i smell a rat, the actual part i'm seeking has 2A06 printed on it. 2A06810 , you think the 10 might indicate 100kHz? Thanks for your time Framc :) Jango.

Reply to
jango2

On Sat, 16 May 2009 21:16:16 -0700 (PDT), jango2 put finger to keyboard and composed:

I don't think so. The other IC had 2A06905 printed on it. That would suggest that the last three digits may be part of a date code or batch code.

If you know when the two sets were manufactured, then you may be able to decipher the date codes. The date codes on the other chips may also give you a clue, especially if they follow a similar format. AFAICT the subject model was released in late 2006 or early 2007, so maybe the "06" refers to 2006. If "2A" is also part of the date, then I'd suspect a Japanese manufacturer. BTW, Renesas (Hitachi) do manufacture PWM controllers, but I couldn't find a suitable part on their web site. You might want to look for yourself, though, if the NCP1200 turns out to be unsuitable.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

On Wed, 13 May 2009 05:27:59 -0700 (PDT), jango2 put finger to keyboard and composed:

I feel certain that your mystery part is a Fuji FA5522N, whatever it is.

See this document:

See the photo on page 75 (4 of 6).

It shows the 5516, 5517, and 5518 parts. Their date/batch codes are

2A04ES9 (or 2AD4ES9 ?) and 1H04ES9.

I found several hits for the following parts:

FA5522N-A2-TE1, FAIRCHILD, 2007, SOP 8L FUJI -FA5522N-A2-TE1 FA5518N-H1-TE1, FUJI, 2006 FA5518N-A2-TE1, FUJI

It seems that the various suppliers aren't sure whether the part is made by Fuji or Fairchild. AFAICT, Fairchild's parts use an "FAN" prefix.

FWIW, here is the datasheet for Fuji Semiconductor's FA551X series PWM type switching power supply control ICs.

FA5510P (N), FA5511P (N), FA5514P (N), FA5515P (N):

Application note for FA5516/5517/5518:

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

On Mon, 18 May 2009 06:09:01 +1000, Franc Zabkar put finger to keyboard and composed:

Here are more documents that may help. Page 9 of the "part number explanation" associates the "55" with an AC/DC converter controller.

There is an email address at this URL:

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar