1/2 74hc14 in 8 pin dip package

comp.arch.embedded

1/2 74hc14 in 8 pin dip package

Anyone know of an ic with 2 or 3 inverters or non-inverting buffers with schmidt trigger inputs. Toshiba once sold such a device but it appears only available currently in surface mount packages. There are numerous other devices that are similar but, again, in surface mount packages.

Any tips will be much appreciated.

Hul

--
- for email, put the word "keeper" in the subject line -
Reply to

Tip: use SMD with 6 gates (that's what I do). It is much smaller than DIP8 with 2 gates, and the main advantage is that it exists and is quite cheap.

Reply to
Grzegorz Mazur

Good tip, but... the current objective is to use (ie find) a thru hole type device to avoid running a board through surface mount processing for just one ic.

Hul

Reply to
Hul Tytus

SO8 can still be mounted manually; it's packages like MLF and 5 lead SOT23 that are more hassle.

If you want DIP8 so much, that you do not care about the price, then you could look at MOSFET driver ICs, many of those are old enough to come in DIP8 for the common dual-drivers.

Last CMOS logic device I saw in DIP8 was a RCA 4000 series one...

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

You can always put the SMT device on the solder side. That way you can still wave solder the lot in one go. Of course the SMT device must be glued on, so it is one extra step.

Regards Anton Erasmus

Reply to
Anton Erasmus

Hi, You did not specify what the ciruit will be used for or how fast it needs to be, but if you are doing some low speed task like cleaning up opto signals, switch inputs or something similar, you could use a voltage comparator like the LM193 or LM293 set up with some hysteresis. Comparators are still availible in DIP or T05 cans according to National Semi's web site.

If you are looking for fast logic, another approach will be required.

Good Luck, Bob

Reply to
MetalHead

Jim - I'll take a look at the mosfet drivers. Thanks for the suggestion. The 4000 "peripheral drivers" are still available - I'll take another look at them also.

Hul

Jim Granville wrote:

Reply to
Hul Tytus

Anton - thanks. Mounting the ic on the bottom might reduce the time required for a smd device enough. Certainly worth testing.

Hul

Ant> > >Grzegorz Mazur wrote:

Reply to
Hul Tytus

Bob - Good suggestion. I hadn't thought about a comparator, but those would fit. Maybe one of the op amps from that family too...

Hul

MetalHead wrote:

Reply to
Hul Tytus

Panasonic do a lot of their boards this way. You sometimes need a "solder trap" when wave soldering certain SMT type devices glued on the solder side. This is basically just a large pad close enough to the device, so that it grabs enough of the solder so that the pins on the SMT device do not short. IPC has all the technical specs, and pad definitions that work reliably with wave soldering.

Regards Anton Erasmus

Reply to
Anton Erasmus