NEC 1810X LCD monitor - yellow edges?

Hi,

I recently picked up an NEC 1810X monitor. It works great except on the right and left 1.5cm there is a yellowish tint. Can anyone help? What's wrong and how can I fix it?

Lyle

--
cosmicnetworks
Reply to

First, make sure the CRT glasss is clean and not dirty along both sides. (A little humor) Next, you need to degauss the CRT. Normally this is done automatically at each cold-start turn-on. But, something may have become magnetized that the internal degaussing can't overcome.

A regular degaussing coil is several hundred turns of 20 to 22 gauge wire wound in a 12 - 18 inch diameter coil and connected to 130V AC (assuming you are in the USA). You move the coil very slowly all around the CRT face, sides and top and bottom and back of the housing. Then you move slowly away at least 10 feet from the crt and then unplug the power cord of the degaussing coil. The outlet into which the coil is plugged should also be ten feet away. Do all this with the monitor facing the samme direction it will be facing when in final use as the earth's magnetic field can have an effect.

Noe, if you don't have a degaussing coil. you can try to borrow one from someone who does, or you can try the following.

Use a small soldering gun as a degausser. It is not as powerful, but sometimes works in a pinch. The only problem is that the tip gets red-hot after a few seconds. So, do your degaussing with the tip of the soldering gun placed in the middle of a wet rag to keep it cool.

Report back the results.

H. R.(Bob) Hofmann

Reply to
hrhofmann

[...]

Now, if you don't have a degaussing coil. you can try to borrow one from someone who does, or you can try the following.

Use a small soldering gun as a degausser. It is not as powerful, but sometimes works in a pinch. The only problem is that the tip gets red-hot after a few seconds. So, do your degaussing with the tip of the soldering gun placed in the middle of a wet rag to keep it cool.

Report back the results.

H. R.(Bob) Hofmann

Reply to
hrhofmann

OOPS!! Just realized the OP said LCD display - Never Mind!!!

Bob Hofmann

Reply to
hrhofmann

This could be the tubes in the back getting tired. You'll need to locate replacements.

Reply to
David C. Partridge

Hi Lyle, I had the same problem, mine was caused not by the lamps. If you take apart your lcd and locate the backlights, you will find 2 plastic strips, one on each side, these strips hold the 8 lamps in place, on mine due I guess to the heat, my strips had turned a kinda of yellow/brown. After carefully removing these strips and giving a really good clean till the were white and then reassemling the lcd, my screen is now back to normal.

Hope this helps yours.

Paul.

--
onlyme