NAvman f20 Satnav Power connector

Hi all, got a Navman F20 SatNav where the mini usb connector has broken off from the board. Long shot this i know but its going to be almost impossible to solder to the original broken track as there very little left showing so does anyone have detail of alternative points on the motherboard the connector pins can be wired to

Also, any links to DIY SatNav repair info would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Graham

Reply to
Graham Robinson

There's some good helpful people over on sci.geo.satellite-nav

Someone there might be able to point you at where you can get some help with this problem

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Cheers Arfa

Reply to
Graham Robinson

On Thu, 20 Nov 2008 14:32:55 -0000, "Graham Robinson" put finger to keyboard and composed:

FWIW, I found the following site while investing the possibility of hacking my brother's F20:

(internal photos and file list)

It seems to me that you could try to identify the chip which handles the USB function, locate its datasheet, and then work backwards with a multimeter from the chip's USB pins to the mini-USB connector. That's how I determined the pinout of the unpopulated USB connector on my DVD player's decoder PCB. The USB Data+ and Data- pins should have pull-up or pull-down resistors to indicate the speed of the interface. Whether these are discrete resistors, or internal to the USB chip, I don't know. Mini-USB also has a fifth pin which signals, via a resistor or link to ground, whether the OTG (on the go) USB port defaults to being a host or peripheral.

This article shows how these resistors are configured:

I have several GPS circuits which I've downloaded from the FCC database. If you can identify your USB chip, maybe I can locate a suitable circuit diagram.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar