Muddle over left/right channel of TRS plug

I have a 3.5mm TRS plug which is prewired. It looks like this

The tip of that TRS plug is connected to the red wire (RIGHT channel).

Has that been done correctly? I thought the tip of the TRS plug is the LEFT channel.

(I also have a 3.5mm TRS socket which is prewired and the red wire is also the tip.)

Reply to
Peter

Nope. Tip is left. It has been for 50 years.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Does it matter? If it's backwards then just reverse the RCA's?

Reply to
Jon Slaughter

Just remember: "Ring Right"

Isaac

Reply to
isw

The tip is normally left - as left is conventionally follows mono as regards wiring convention.

As to colours, in the UK some pro stuff uses red and green as per the naval convention - ie red (port) left, green (starboard) right. Whereas in domestic stuff red is usually right. Just to add to the confusion.

--
*Speak softly and carry a cellular phone *

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

As far as the RCA plugs are concerned, the Red plug has long been Right.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

I happen to like my tips on the right.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Why do I feel I'm sitting under the caterpillar's mushroom?

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Pro gear doesn't use RCA plugs. But can use TRS.

--
*I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it*

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On 9/25/2009 4:46 AM William Sommerwerck spake thus:

As a mnemonic, I think of it as a political thing (right=red, left=blue [i.e., not-red]).

David Nebenzahl

Does it matter? Can you tell "right" from "left" by ear? Lessee, strings on the left, brass on the right, percussion in back...

Of course if it's wrong, just fire up the ol' soldering iron, and swap them. Takes about four minutes.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

That's a recent innovation that came with Bush II. Historically, the "Reds" have been the commies. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Is "TRS" a mnemonic for something? All I can think of when I see it is the Radio Shack/Tandy TRS-80, pronounced "Trash 80". ;-)

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Good drugs? %-}

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

tip / ring / sleeve

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Tip ring sleeve. Unbalanced stereo or balanced mono. Or sometimes a mono in and out on a mixer.

I'd guess originally designed for telephone exchanges. In the UK, the telephone one is known as a type 316 and has a smaller tip than stereo jack plugs. And is still in use - must have been designed over 100 years ago. Dunno if the US one is the same.

--
*Why isn\'t there a special name for the back of your knee?

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Oh, yes - the US has been using "Tip & Ring" for about as long as there have been telephone exchanges. (a hundred years?) :-)

My cousin Owen inherited Uncle Dick's farm - they still have a wall-mounted crank-style phone with the separate earpiece similar to this:

[mind the wrap] and they have an early phone book - most of the phone numbers were two digits! (Circuit & phone). (it wasn't a very big town. ;-)

If you're curious, it's Lake Crystal, MN.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

But, I think, more commomly known as a "Jack plug". Usually available in

2.5mm, 3.5mm and 1/4". The P.O. type 316 is 1/4", as are the ones more commonly used in the applications Dave has suggested.

In telephone usage, the 1/4" variety can frequently be found with more contacts in the form of additional rings when used, for example, with a headset.

Reply to
Stuart

"jack plug" seems to be a British usage - elsewhere it is an oxymoron

- a plug is inserted into a jack, so you can't have a "jack plug". In the US and Canada, the connectors are more commonly known as "phone plug" (male) and "phone jack" (female).

I recall seeing a version slightly smaller than 1/4" (0.216?) somewhere.

The telco versions have a different tip shape than the commercial versions.

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca

Seems strange to me as 'Jack' is a common name denoting male. Jack rabbit, jack tar, etc. Wonder what the root is in this case? But would they *really* talk about a 'phone plug' in a telephone exchange? You don't in a sound studio where such things are used in a patch bay - known as a jackfield. The leads with a plug on both ends are known as patch cords or double enders. But of course jargon varies even in the same country - never mine different ones.

If it's the telecom or pro version, called bantam.

One thing to note is if you insert a 1/4 stereo to a jack socket designed for a telco type it can short things out - it pushes the tip contact onto the frame.

--
*My designated driver drove me to drink