Vizio no pic

hi group, i'm working on a Vizio 39 Tesla model..E470va, so it's a 47 inch, I have no picture no audio, I do get the correct voltages from the power s upply, I changed the main board, and nada.. when I turn the tv on, with the back cover off, I see a led ON THE INVERTER BOARD turn blue twice then tur ns off, I am suspecting the tcon board or also called this TQAPT5K00901 TQA PT 5k009 01 LCD PC Board Unit Motherboard. this is a lcd tv, I do have back lights, and a faint glow on the screen from the backlights... any help on t his problem, will be taken seriously. Thanks,Stan...

Reply to
Stu jaxon

h, I have no picture no audio, I do get the correct voltages from the power supply, I changed the main board, and nada.. when I turn the tv on, with t he back cover off, I see a led ON THE INVERTER BOARD turn blue twice then t urns off, I am suspecting the tcon board or also called this TQAPT5K00901 T QAPT 5k009 01 LCD PC Board Unit Motherboard. this is a lcd tv, I do have ba cklights, and a faint glow on the screen from the backlights... any help on this problem, will be taken seriously. Thanks,Stan...

The blue LED on the inverter board will light and extinguish if the inverte rs are normal.

You could have a bad TCON, a bad display, or still have a bad main. There are no new parts available for these, so any board you buy from *any* suppl ier is suspect. A legitimate ebay seller who sells a board from a TV with a cracked screen but otherwise verifiable as fully functional is a fair bet , but we still don't know if the donor had a picture, even if it did also h ave a cracked screen. Other internet board sellers are just recyclers who sell boards without testing, but they offer generous return policies and lo ng warranties.

The way I approach a no-picture issue (with normal backlights) is to scope the differential signals coming out of the main at the LVDS plug to the TCO N. These are digital signals and are jibberish, but if they're there, the m ain is usually good. While scoping, it's helpful to push the TVs menu butto n and watch for any activity on the differential outputs. If only DC appear s on the LVDS output connector, you still have a bad main.

If the differential signals are there, try removing either of the two ribbo n connectors going to the display from the TCON and see if you get half a p ix. If not, reconnect the ribbon and remove the other. If you get half a picture from either attempt, you've got a bad display. Still no pic? Prob bad TCON.

There is a 12V fuse near the power harness you can check, but if it's open, usually a bad multi layer chip cap has shorted although there could also b e a bad IC. If the fuse is good, you can check for DC at various points on the board if marked. If nothing is marked, look for small round inductors that identify the handful of buck converters that normally populate TCONs. There should be DC voltages on them and can vary from 1.2 to 24V dependin g on design. If any are missing with the output ribbons disconnected, you h ave a bad TCON.

Reply to
John-Del

nch, I have no picture no audio, I do get the correct voltages from the pow er supply, I changed the main board, and nada.. when I turn the tv on, with the back cover off, I see a led ON THE INVERTER BOARD turn blue twice then turns off, I am suspecting the tcon board or also called this TQAPT5K00901 TQAPT 5k009 01 LCD PC Board Unit Motherboard. this is a lcd tv, I do have backlights, and a faint glow on the screen from the backlights... any help on this problem, will be taken seriously. Thanks,Stan...

ters are normal.

[...]

thanks for the info.. the fuse tested good.. I hooked up a scope 5v ch1, on dc coupling I got dc differential signals with the menu button pressed on some pins and not data on others same results with ac coupling, if the tcon board was good was i supposed to see an AC siganl.? and with the ribbons r emoved no pic on either side.. bad tcon board..?

Reply to
Stu jaxon

inch, I have no picture no audio, I do get the correct voltages from the p ower supply, I changed the main board, and nada.. when I turn the tv on, wi th the back cover off, I see a led ON THE INVERTER BOARD turn blue twice th en turns off, I am suspecting the tcon board or also called this TQAPT5K009

01 TQAPT 5k009 01 LCD PC Board Unit Motherboard. this is a lcd tv, I do hav e backlights, and a faint glow on the screen from the backlights... any hel p on this problem, will be taken seriously. Thanks,Stan...

erters are normal.

[...]

I should have asked if you checked for 12V on the TCON fuse.

With the scope on AC coupling, set it for 50mv with a 10X probe and maybe .

5ms for the horizontal - neither setting is critical. The signals are digi tal data and not on every pin. What I've found over the years is that any data visible with a known good input source or menu activation (which guara ntees *something* should appear on the screen) means the main is good. Of course, those that produce a picture with issues like off colors, pixelizat ion, gamma errors etc. could be the main and it's nearly impossible to tell if the main or the TCON are causing those problems by scoping the signals. But generally, if you have differential signals to the TCON but no pictur e, the main is good.

So if you have 12V on the TCON fuse, it sounds like you have a bad TCON. P ull the shield off and look for any shorted multi layer capacitors. These are small SMD caps, have no markings, and are invariably brown in color. T he ones most suspect are the ones that are side by side in a parallel arran gement. If one of these caps short, the buck regulator in the circuit will shut down. The problem is that one shorted cap may be paralleled by sever al and up to a dozen, so picking the offending shorted cap out can take som e time.

I can check Monday to see if I have a verified good TCON in the shop.

Reply to
John-Del

47 inch, I have no picture no audio, I do get the correct voltages from the power supply, I changed the main board, and nada.. when I turn the tv on, with the back cover off, I see a led ON THE INVERTER BOARD turn blue twice then turns off, I am suspecting the tcon board or also called this TQAPT5K0 0901 TQAPT 5k009 01 LCD PC Board Unit Motherboard. this is a lcd tv, I do h ave backlights, and a faint glow on the screen from the backlights... any h elp on this problem, will be taken seriously. Thanks,Stan...

nverters are normal.

[...]

if fb401 is a fuse, there is no voltage on either side. i didn't get a chan ce to further test/scope the tcon board, my truck is in need of repairs. i will post as soon as i can.

Reply to
Stu jaxon

a 47 inch, I have no picture no audio, I do get the correct voltages from t he power supply, I changed the main board, and nada.. when I turn the tv on , with the back cover off, I see a led ON THE INVERTER BOARD turn blue twic e then turns off, I am suspecting the tcon board or also called this TQAPT5 K00901 TQAPT 5k009 01 LCD PC Board Unit Motherboard. this is a lcd tv, I do have backlights, and a faint glow on the screen from the backlights... any help on this problem, will be taken seriously. Thanks,Stan...

inverters are normal.

[...]

FB nomenclature devices generally are ferrite beads, although they're shape d like any other SMD resistor or capacitor. They tend to be gray in color, have no markings, and should read zero ohms. They may or may not have volt age on them depending on where in the circuit they are.

I just ran your model number through Shop Jimmy to see what the board looks like, and it appears there are two different versions of that TV depending on the display installed. One version has the main board connected direct ly to the TCON, the other has the main board connected to an FRC board whic h then feeds the TCON. Both versions use a different TCON.

If you have the smaller TCON, there is a white ceramic surface mount fuse m arked 3A which should have 12V on it. You will also have the FRC board whic h is an equal possibility as the TCON board for causing no pix.

If you have the larger TCON, there is a shield over it that covers most of the components and I'll need to see a picture of the board without the shie ld to point out the fuse. Follow the leads from connector CN4402 under the shield and you should find the fuse. It might be ceramic like the other o ne or look like a smd resistor. Most non-ceramic fuses used in these types of boards have a single letter on them indicating current. The larger wh ite ceramic ones have the actual current printed numerically on them.

Reply to
John-Del

s a 47 inch, I have no picture no audio, I do get the correct voltages from the power supply, I changed the main board, and nada.. when I turn the tv on, with the back cover off, I see a led ON THE INVERTER BOARD turn blue tw ice then turns off, I am suspecting the tcon board or also called this TQAP T5K00901 TQAPT 5k009 01 LCD PC Board Unit Motherboard. this is a lcd tv, I do have backlights, and a faint glow on the screen from the backlights... a ny help on this problem, will be taken seriously. Thanks,Stan...

he inverters are normal.

[...]

couldn't find the fuse, no link to upload a pic.?

Reply to
Stu jaxon

t's a 47 inch, I have no picture no audio, I do get the correct voltages fr om the power supply, I changed the main board, and nada.. when I turn the t v on, with the back cover off, I see a led ON THE INVERTER BOARD turn blue twice then turns off, I am suspecting the tcon board or also called this TQ APT5K00901 TQAPT 5k009 01 LCD PC Board Unit Motherboard. this is a lcd tv, I do have backlights, and a faint glow on the screen from the backlights... any help on this problem, will be taken seriously. Thanks,Stan...

the inverters are normal.

[...]

p.

[...]

You could upload to a free hosting site (like

and post the link, or you could send them to my spam email (which I monitor): ohger

1s/at/aol/dot/com

I did find a complete board kit for an E420VA in stock (same TV, smaller sc reen). The kit I have uses a FRC board and smaller TCON with no shield.

If you have that version, I can walk you through it. If you have the large r TCON with the large shield over the board and no FRC board, then you'll h ave to remove the shield on the TCON.

Reply to
John-Del

:

it's a 47 inch, I have no picture no audio, I do get the correct voltages from the power supply, I changed the main board, and nada.. when I turn the tv on, with the back cover off, I see a led ON THE INVERTER BOARD turn blu e twice then turns off, I am suspecting the tcon board or also called this TQAPT5K00901 TQAPT 5k009 01 LCD PC Board Unit Motherboard. this is a lcd tv , I do have backlights, and a faint glow on the screen from the backlights. .. any help on this problem, will be taken seriously. Thanks,Stan...

if the inverters are normal.

[...]

hop.

[...]

i posted it on imgur, under username...stugots77

Reply to
Stu jaxon

:

e:

te:

[...]

shop.

[...]

Not found by name.

Open the picture you posted, then cut/paste the URL of the actual picture.

Reply to
John-Del

te:

ote:

rote:

[...]

he shop.

[...]

.

ok,..

Stu jaxon

rote:

[...]

the shop.

[...]

That's the bigger TCON with the FRC board built in.

That FB near the LVDS connector on the TCON should have 12V on both sides o f it when the TV is on. If the 12V is missing, unplug the LVDS and check t hat FB to ground for resistance. Should read no less than 10K ohms to grou nd. If the resistance on that FB is showing low ohms, the TCON has a shorte d component on it.

U4403 should have something like 1.2V on the tab. If it doesn't, check the input pin for 3.3. That series of tab regulator is a common problem on ma in boards,FRC boards, and TCONs.

U4402 and u4407 should have something like 3.3 on one, and 1.8 volts on the other (typical Vizio reg voltages) measured at the tabs.

If those voltages are missing, check voltages on CN4402. There should be 1

2V and 5V on that connector. If either/both are missing, check for shorts to ground as you did with the ferrite bead. If there are no shorts and no voltages, I'd suspect the main.

If the 12 and 5 volt inputs are there on the connector, and the 12 volts is on the ferrite bead, and you can view differential activity on the LVDS co nnector with a scope, and you can't get a half picture with either display ribbon removed, indications are very strong towards the TCON/FRC board.

Reply to
John-Del

:

e:

[...]

se.

[...]

in the shop.

[...]

ture.

of it when the TV is on. If the 12V is missing, unplug the LVDS and check that FB to ground for resistance. Should read no less than 10K ohms to gr ound. If the resistance on that FB is showing low ohms, the TCON has a shor ted component on it.

he input pin for 3.3. That series of tab regulator is a common problem on main boards,FRC boards, and TCONs.

he other (typical Vizio reg voltages) measured at the tabs.

12V and 5V on that connector. If either/both are missing, check for short s to ground as you did with the ferrite bead. If there are no shorts and n o voltages, I'd suspect the main.

is on the ferrite bead, and you can view differential activity on the LVDS connector with a scope, and you can't get a half picture with either displa y ribbon removed, indications are very strong towards the TCON/FRC board.

wow, you are a genius, with tv on, no 12v on either side of fb, with lvds d isconnected, i got zero ohms, so it's a bad tcon board, that's shorted.. ?

Reply to
Stu jaxon

:

te:

ote:

[...]

fuse.

[...]

N in the shop.

[...]

icture.

[...]

With the LVDS harness disconnected, run the TV one more time and make sure you have 12V on the harness. Most of the time, a shorted TCON will cause t he 12V supply that feeds it to shut down, but there's a chance the 12V sour ce could have been damaged as well. If there's no 12V, check the main for an open surface mount fuse (these are generally white on Vizios with a lett er on them).

If you get 12V on the disconnected LVDS connector, then just a TCON should get you going. If you have the time, you can check for shorted chip caps. These are brown, about the size of that ferrite bead, and have no markings . One way is to feed a current regulated supply set to 2 amps right at tha t ferrite bead to force feed the TCON to see what gets hot. A frost coveri ng from a can of freeze spray will often give you a visual of what's drawin g the current (whatever thaws first).

Reply to
John-Del

:

e:

te:

rote:

[...]

N fuse.

[...]

CON in the shop.

[...]

om/) and post the link, or you could send them to my spam email (which I mo nitor): ohger1s/at/aol/dot/com

TV, smaller screen). The kit I have uses a FRC board and smaller TCON with no shield.

have the larger TCON with the large shield over the board and no FRC board, then you'll have to remove the shield on the TCON.

picture.

[...]

if your talking about the harness connector cn702, I get 11.97v on green wi re, 11.98 v on the yellow wire. nothing on the red and orange wires. 5v on brown wire. and just for your info I got a little anxious and ordered the t con board arrive yesterday, got nothing no pic... the main board is recentl y purchased also from ebay .. I think i got both from electroparts..

Reply to
Stu jaxon

te:

:

ote:

rote:

[...]

CON fuse.

[...]

TCON in the shop.

[...]

.com/) and post the link, or you could send them to my spam email (which I monitor): ohger1s/at/aol/dot/com

e TV, smaller screen). The kit I have uses a FRC board and smaller TCON wi th no shield.

u have the larger TCON with the large shield over the board and no FRC boar d, then you'll have to remove the shield on the TCON.

al picture.

[...]

Did you try your original main board back in with the new TCON? You may ha ve added a problem where none existed before.

There are two 12V inputs going to that TCON/FRC board. The CN702 four wire connector (which will have 12V , 5V, and ground) and the larger LVDS harne ss CN4404 where the ferrite bead smd component is.

So on CN 702, you have the 12V and 5V, so that's OK.

On the ferrite bead near the LVDS, you should have 12v as well. I don't kn ow if they're sourced from the same 12V supply or not, but you should have

12V on that ferrite bead. Your earlier post said you did not have 12V on t hat ferrite bead and were reading a short to ground. Is this correct? If you unplug the LVDS harness, the short on the ferrite bead to the TCON grou nd will either go away or remain. If it goes away, the problem is on the m ain. If it stays, the short is on the TCON.

Be aware that fair percentage of boards bought on-line are defective regard less of where they're purchased. There are no new parts available for thes e, so any part you buy is from a recycled donor, and none of these mass par ts sellers check them. They strip the carcass of it's boards, sell them, a nd replace or refund the money if they get a complaint. If the donor TV fai led with the same defective board you have, you'll have the same issue.

This is why we go through several tests before estimating the job for the c ustomer, and why we repair about 95 percent of the boards we see.

There are several guys in our association that sell parts on ebay, but thes e guys are technicians who will only sell verified boards.

The good news is that Electroparts is a good company and they'll replace or refund without question.

Reply to
John-Del

e:

rote:

te:

[...]

TCON fuse.

[...]

od TCON in the shop.

[...]

ur.com/) and post the link, or you could send them to my spam email (which I monitor): ohger1s/at/aol/dot/com

ame TV, smaller screen). The kit I have uses a FRC board and smaller TCON with no shield.

you have the larger TCON with the large shield over the board and no FRC bo ard, then you'll have to remove the shield on the TCON.

tual picture.

[...]

or refund without question.

the short is still there, with the lvds cable removed. just bought the tcon board.? I now noticed that the backlights go off off after a minute or two , high voltage shut down..? I put the original main board back in, and got two 12v & 5v inputs to the tcon on cn702..

Reply to
Stu jaxon

e:

ote:

rote:

4, John-Del wrote:
4, Stu jax> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > hi group, i'm working on a Vizio 39 Tesla

[...]

he TCON fuse.

[...]

good TCON in the shop.

[...]

mgur.com/) and post the link, or you could send them to my spam email (whic h I monitor): ohger1s/at/aol/dot/com

(same TV, smaller screen). The kit I have uses a FRC board and smaller TCO N with no shield.

f you have the larger TCON with the large shield over the board and no FRC board, then you'll have to remove the shield on the TCON.

actual picture.

[...]

on board.?

You're confusing me. Are you saying that both the original TCON board and the one you just bought are showing a low ohm short to ground as read on th at ferrite bead near the LVDS cable?

tcon on cn702..

Again, see if there is any 12DC voltage on the LVDS connector when it is di sconnected from the TCON. IIRC, the CN702 connector goes to the power supp ly, not the main. Is there 12V on the LVDS connector when it is lifted off the TCON?

Reply to
John-Del

:

ote:

-Del wrote:

[...]

the TCON fuse.

[...]

d good TCON in the shop.

[...]

/imgur.com/) and post the link, or you could send them to my spam email (wh ich I monitor): ohger1s/at/aol/dot/com

k (same TV, smaller screen). The kit I have uses a FRC board and smaller T CON with no shield.

If you have the larger TCON with the large shield over the board and no FR C board, then you'll have to remove the shield on the TCON.

e actual picture.

[...]

tcon board.?

d the one you just bought are showing a low ohm short to ground as read on that ferrite bead near the LVDS cable?

e tcon on cn702..

disconnected from the TCON. IIRC, the CN702 connector goes to the power su pply, not the main. Is there 12V on the LVDS connector when it is lifted o ff the TCON?

yes, both the original TCON boards fb are shorted. no 12v when lvds is disc onnected.

Reply to
Stu jaxon

Do either of you know how to use an editor?

-- "I am a river to my people." Jeff-1.0 WA6FWi http:foxsmercantile.com

Reply to
Fox's Mercantile