Sony Computer DC power inlet repair

The DC inlet on my sony viao laptop PCG-V505bx cracked after it dropped on the floor. Im trying to repair it myself without taking it in becuase it will cost around $250. What i cant find though, is a manual or diagram that shows how i can disassemble and reassemble my computer so i can replace the part. Does anyone know where i can get instructions to do it myself?

Reply to
Radicalkp

Not sure about the V505 models but the Z505s require that you remove the trim pieces covering the display hinges, then the trim pieces covering the speakers (both by careful squeezing/prying, hopefully without too much damage!), then most of the screws on the bottom. Then the KB will come off (one flex cable - don't rip it!), and a bunch of flex cables and connectors for the top cover speakers and touchpad. That will get you access to the power jack. Everything inside is tiny and easily damaged.

If you've never worked on a notebook computer before and you value this one, I strongly recommend you have it done by a professional $250 sounds high though.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Sam Goldwasser

Shop manuals - or extracts - generally show up on the web eventually. Google all possible variations on your model number....and don't exclude hits that are mostly Cyrillic or Asian characters.

Reply to
webpa

Sadly, that sounds like a typical repair fee, especially if it's a manufacturer's quote. They tend to replace the mainboard rather than do board level repairs, even for simple components like sockets. AIUI the board then goes out to get repaired and comes back to be used as a spare. I know HP work that way anyway, Sony could well be the same.

Dave

Reply to
Dave D

snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net hath wroth:

There are several vendors on eBay selling Sony manuals on cdrom. For example:

However, I couldn't find one that specifically lists a PCG-V505bx. There are several others in the same series that may be close enough.

The bad news is that the power connector repair is a major project. If the broken pieces are intact, then you might be able to glue it back together. Be VERY careful with the connections as the power supply is fully capeable of melting the connector if shorted. Otherwise, you get to totally remove the motherboard, unsolder the old connector from the bottom, replace, solder, and re-assemble. The problem is that you don't know if you've succeeded until the laptop is re-assembled. One mistake, and you get to take it apart again. One of the fun parts of the exercise is trying to remember which of the 50 or so almost identical, but not quite identical, screws go into which holes.

Some of my photos of what's involved:

I usually take photos so I can remember where the parts fit, and so I can justify the expense based on the effort involved.

Finding the correct replacement connector is often a major project. There must be 100 different styles and types. I can usually come close from Digikey and Mouser, but there are a few that I just can't find. Fortunately, all Sony jacks are identical.

This might be of interest:

Expensive, but convenient.

I typically charge 3 hours labor times $75/hr for the exercise. $250 is about right. If you've never worked on a laptop before, I strongly suggest you have someone with experience work on it.

Good luck. You'll need it.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com