Help to name this type of washer

I need some help with the name of a particular type of washer.

Imagine a piece of metal (say the front flap of a wall-mounted floodlight) where two bolts are used to retain the flap. Each bolt might fall but there is a washer (rubber in this case) which holds it in place.

What is the term used to described that washer?

I thought it might be called a "retaining washer" but it seems from web illustrations that retaining washers are something else.

--
Secondly, where can I get an assortment of these?

They would be just for occassional home use.
Reply to
Joe Smith

"Joe Smith" wrote;

Grommets?

Reply to
Phil Anthropist

If it's made of rubber you may be looking at a grommet.

Reply to
Bikini Whacks

Are you describing a narrow shanked bolt, that remains captive but slide-abouty after threaded through the "washer"?

Reply to
dom

Sounds like small 0-rings to me.

David

Reply to
Lobster

The message from Joe Smith contains these words:

It's just an O-ring usually, turns a screw into a captive screw.

--
Skipweasel
Guy King

I'd call it a captive washer. But there's probably nothing special about the washer except that it has to have the right internal diameter: it's the bolt that's special, in that it has a narrow section without thread.

--
Thoss

[To reply, replace * with . in Reply-To address]
Reply to
thoss

Or a circlip, in some cases.

Avenue Supplies,   http://avenuesupplies.co.uk
Reply to
Bob Eager

We used fibre washers with hole size that would lock onto the screw. Just used ordinary full screws.

Reply to
Spiny Norma

paper washers?, normally paper washers with a small hole where the screw and be set into it to prevent the screw from falling out is used.

--
Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5

Essentially, yes.

Does that help?

Reply to
Joe Smith

I propose we call it Wally, wally the washer, sounds cute.

Reply to
Ian Ozenthroat