This NG has a Bad name (2023 Update)

Hi,

by "bad" I mean the name is highly ambiguous. Is "design" a noun or a verb round here ?

JL and others seem convinced it is a verb: " to design ". But it is every bit correct to think it's a noun: " a design " .

It is very hard to discuss anyone's design without seeing a schematic and this NG is non binary. However it is easy to post links ( pdfs) to schematics found on the web, allowing discussion of them.

But that does not work out too well either:

  1. Folk think they see flaws evident in a schem that does not exist in practice.
  2. Others may consider a schem fine when a built version is in fact hopelessly flawed.

  1. Folk like to make comments on a schem while barely understanding how it works or even what it does.

FYI:

I annoyed a few posters here a couple of years back by posting links to schems of well known audio products that were seriously flawed. I challenged folk to spot the flaw or flaws.

Nobody here could.

So how the hell did I know ? Cos I has dealt with real ones and bench tested them. Or else the flaws had become evident in the field.

The flaws concerned were ones that caused serious misbehaviour in real use or instant self destruction.

The upshot of these observations is that this NG is pretty useless. Just like arguing over all the OT stuff is.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Why should any of this interest anyone else??? Or are you just ranting for some unexplained reason? I guess there weren't enough posts the last few days for you to vent over?

The group is a sum total of all the contributions. I'm sure you think your contributions are a net positive. Perhaps it would illustrative to ask what you expect from this group, but I'm sure that will only result in a stream of profanity as is typically the case.

Reply to
Rick C

Guano posted ===========

** LOL - what an *appalingly stupid* question.

FYI: my post comes in reply to the " OT: topic " thread. Do keep up.

Reply to
Phil Allison

y.

Hey, I sympathize with Phil. And I actually like the 'experiments' in technical social exchange that Phil & others have tried.

I *also* realize a usenet group is a imperfect channel for doing some things, such as those stated. We should expect less- than-ideal "S/N ratio" :-) And to be fair, sometimes the schematics don't always tell the 'whole story' - but then it turns into real work just to post full-topic here?

If someone wants higher S/N, go to electronics.stackexchange.com or

But here, I wouldn't give up on these & any other experiments.

I see no "rules" that we have to stick to pure & new design issues. We (collectively) certainly break that rule, > 50% of the time.

To get the 'generally-on-topic ' to 'way-off-topic' Ratio >> 0.5, let see...

Brainstorming here.. some on going series of topics...

  • odd old parts from the drawers - You post a picture of an old or odd looking part, challenge us to figure out what it is

  • design from the past - post original design, and suggest how it would best be done today.

  • lesson learned - honesty required. Ad hominens would be admonished! What design error 'someone' did, you see a lesson to be learned & can share.

  • baffled by the readings - equipment reading told you one thing but your gut was telling you something else. What did you do to resolve the conflict? Any more?

Reply to
Rich S

Rich S wrote: ============

** Crikey - no-one has ever posted that idea here before.

Sympathy ..... for Phil A ??

Reply to
Phil Allison

The fact that your post is off topic and labeled as such does not answer the question. Why is this of interest to anyone else who might read it??? You make a few ego-centric claims, describe the insipid posts that most conversations here are full of (which is very obvious to nearly anyone) and act as if you have produced a pearl of wisdom. Finally you fail to explain why anyone else would be interested in this observation.

I think your response is much like the elephant and the lion.

Reply to
Rick C

Bat Gauno ===========

** FFS you bloody idiot -

it could not possibly be MORE ON TOPIC !!!! =====================================

..... PHIL

Reply to
Phil Allison

And yet he still can not respond to the point of the post. Clearly delusional... literally. He can't understand anything anyone says. He only responds to the noises inside his own head.

Yep... The irony is Phil is talking about himself in the third person.

Reply to
Rick C

Lots of words can be nouns or verbs, or adjectives. English is funny that way.

Too many issues are presented without much detail, or described ambiguously. Interpreting a fuzzy word question is too much work... there are too many possibilities.

Schematics are better.

Reply to
jlarkin

Bat Gauno ===========

** Because it was entirely FALSE!!.

Made up shit direct from you arse hole

Reply to
Phil Allison

snipped-for-privacy@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote: ===============================

** Shame you did not notice the duality before this.

** Why I ask questions - instead of posting guesses.

** I just explained the stark fallacy of that idea.

Or maybe you think salt water is better than none when dying of thirst ??

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

The Navajo language is almost entirely verbs, pretty cool huh.

Reply to
bitrex

You don't even understand what it said!

LOL

Phil, the incredible thinking machine.

Reply to
Rick C

The Bat Guano FUCKWIT ==================

** Because it was entirely FALSE!!.

Made up shit, direct from your arse hole

Where your head permantently lives ....

Reply to
Phil Allison

Don't be absurd. Or at least do it more skillfully.

OK, I don't have to fix many beer-soaked wa-wa pedals without schematics.

Reply to
jlarkin

snipped-for-privacy@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote: ===================================== >

** Not one bit absurd.

You have always * insisted *that people must post only about their own designs here. Which is of course total bullshit.

Plus you failed *hopelessly* at all my simple quiz questions. As fully expected.

** Go f*ck yourself - you vile, ASD f***ed, shit for brains septic.
Reply to
Phil Allison

And some can be both, at the same time. Gerunds.

Personally, I like swimming. And designing.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

Dude, you are without a doubt the strangest person in this group of Mensa wannabe misfits. In this group, that is quite a statement! My hat is off to you.

Reply to
Rick C

A gerund is a noun made from a verb. It is no longer a verb and no longer functions as a verb. In your butchered example "swimming" is a noun and "like" is the verb. The verb form would be "swim".

Reply to
Rick C

I think the strangest person is someone who went to a Mensa meeting more than once

Reply to
bitrex