Manufacturer questions I always wanted answered

WFWG

This was a long time back and there weren't that many to choose from then.

I even spoke directly to HP but they couldn't / wouldn't help. I ended up putting W3.11 on the PCs instead.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Had Panasonic B&W TV in 1970 and a Montgomery Ward 5" B&W ac/dc in mid/late

1980s. Japan and Taiwan were of questionable quality at the times and very doubtful service centers would have had schematics. Both also had o-scope wave forms and parts lists.. Had to liquidate the Panasonic long before it had problems. The 5" ended up being a good unit. It lasted around 10years which seems good for its use and relative price at the time.

Wouldn't make much sense to send a printed manual with each unit going to countries with Internet access, now.

Reply to
T Shadow

I believe RCA sold all its TV patents in the 1950s or early 1960s for only $500,000 per Japanese company. On the other hand, IBM not only charged royalties based on sales but also required Japanese companies to give it rights to any new inventions even remotely based on its original patents.

Reply to
do_not_spam_me

On 15 Oct 2006 04:51:42 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com put finger to keyboard and composed:

"Sharp Corporation (Shapu Kabushiki-gaisha) is a Japanese electronics manufacturer, founded in 1912. It takes its name from one of its founder's first inventions, the Ever-Ready Sharp mechanical pencil, which was invented by Tokuji Hayakawa in 1915."

"In 1945, after World War II, Masaru Ibuka started a radio repair shop in a bombed-out building in Tokyo. The next year he was joined by his colleague Akio Morita, and they founded a company called Tokyo Tsushin Kogyo K.K., which translates in English to Tokyo Telecommunications Engineering Corporation."

"Akio Morita (Morita Akio, January 26, 1921 in Nagoya, Japan ? October

3, 1999 in Tokyo) was a co-founder of Sony Corporation."

"Masaru Ibuka (Ibuka Masaru, April 11, 1908 in Nikko City, Japan ? December 19, 1997 in Tokyo) was a Japanese electronics industrialist. He co-founded what is now Sony."

"JVC was founded in 1927 as "The Victor Company of Japan" as a subsidiary of the United States' leading phonograph and record company, the Victor Talking Machine Company. In 1929 majority ownership was transferred to RCA-Victor. In the 1930s JVC produced phonographs and records, but in 1932 JVC started producing radios, and in 1939 they introduced Japan's first TV. JVC severed relations with its foreign partners during World War II, and since 1953, JVC has been owned by Matsushita, who holds a majority stake in the company."

"The Video Home System, better known by its abbreviation VHS, is a recording and playing standard for video cassette recorders (VCRs), developed by Victor Company of Japan, Limited, aka JVC, and launched in September 1976."

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed that Sony quality absolutely sucks and that they have been whoring out their name on cheap junk for over a decade and the consumer still hasn't figured it out.

Reply to
scott21230

When did RCA get asset stripped?

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

I disagree. I work for a dealer that sells Sony, among others and I run the shop. I see rather high reliability on the products that we sell, similar to other higher end brands.

They have their problems, but still among the best in terms of product and support.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users. It has removed 11725 spam emails to date. Paying users do not have this message in their emails. Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Reply to
Leonard Caillouet