make sure I have the right power cord

Hi, I am going to give a laptop to somebody who needs one and I got the two pronged power cords mixed up in my mess of cords, Which is

Anyway the two prong cord that plugs into the box on one cord says 3A

125v and the other says yung-li yc-13w 10A125V

I just don't want to use the wrong cord. It's for

Thanks for comments on what is the right one. I assume the 3A 125v one but am trying to make sure I get it right..

Reply to
duckstandard

I suppose trying it to see if it fitted and worked was too difficult?

Reply to
PeterD

What I am saying is I have more than one two prong adapters, like this

They both 'fit'

So you are confident in saying that if it simply fits and turns on the computer it is the correct one to use?

Reply to
duckstandard

On 2/21/2010 2:37 PM duckstandard spake thus:

There's nothing magic about power cords. If it fits, and makes electrical contact, it works. No chance of it delivering the wrong kind of power, or not enough (well, within reason, and for a laptop, anything with 18-gauge or so wire will suffice).

So yes, if it physically fits, it works. It should go in easily without wrestling, and not come out too easy or too hard. Just like the 3 bears.

- a Usenet "apology"
Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Ok was just confused about that. Guess that is how there are multi- adapters for laptops. Thanks.

Reply to
duckstandard

If it fits, and works (makes electrical connection, for example), yes, it is going to be OK in that application.

Reply to
PeterD

The only problem I foresee is if you still have the other computer and it takes more power than one of the cords (you mean cords withe black boxes in the middle, right???) can deliver. Not very likely but possible. If you have that other computert, test both computers, each with a cord. If one doesn't work, reverse cords and both should work. Even if you can't find the other computer, if you do find it and it won't work with the remaining cord, surely your friend will trade you then, so that both work.

BTW, I've found my desktop computer runs hotter, uses more current, when I have the webbrowser running, and especially when I have more tabs open. Sometimes I have 3 sometimes 60. The only problem with 60 is keeping track and that the computer runs 2 to 4 degreees hotter. So I guess if you're going to test you should open the max number you would open.

This assumes they have different power capability. One you say says

10A and the other 3A so it seems they do.
Reply to
mm

The other cord was actually to I believe a printer, yes with a black box in the middle.

On this note I have a cord that has somewhat a frayed connection and was wondering why flash movies, like you tube, maxes out the processor sometimes when it shouldn't, maybe that has something to do with it.

Anyway computer spoken of originally works fine with one cord, without bothering trying out the other.

Reply to
duckstandard

My printer cords don't have boxes in the middle, but maybe some do. The smaller value cord goes to the printer, which uses much less than a whole computer. Even a laser printer, I think.

No. no relationship.

Reply to
mm