Female IEC connectors on ATX power supplies

I remember back in the day some ATX power supplies used to have an
additional IEC connector on the back, sort of like this:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/23/BeBox.Le_dos.jpg

That was handy. Anyone know why they don't see to do that anymore?

Re: Female IEC connectors on ATX power supplies

It is not useful anymore because the power supplies usually are not
switched on/off using the mains switch anymore (although it is often
still present) so the "switched output" would be ON all the time.

Re: Female IEC connectors on ATX power supplies
On Sat, 25 Jun 2016 16:00:38 -0400, bitrex

The invention of the power strip?

lunatic fringe electronics

Re: Female IEC connectors on ATX power supplies

I had a guitar amplifier once that had a really nice feature - it had a
standard 120 volt outlet in the back near the power lead input.

You could then actually put the power strip in the hollow space in the
back of the amp, run all your other equipment from that, and only have
one power cord to plug in for your performance.

Looks like the power supply on that old BeBox didn't do power factor
correction, judging by the 120/220 input voltage switch.

Re: Female IEC connectors on ATX power supplies
On Sat, 25 Jun 2016 15:02:08 -0700, John Larkin

  Nice try, but no.  They were around already.

Re: Female IEC connectors on ATX power supplies
   What is that for? Hitting baseballs or people?

Re: Female IEC connectors on ATX power supplies
On Sat, 25 Jun 2016 16:00:38 -0400, bitrex

Because you can exceed the rating of the power inlet cable?
Cost?
Additional EMI testing?
Left over thing from the old XT class IBM machines with a single
monitor?

Cheers

Re: Female IEC connectors on ATX power supplies
On Sun, 26 Jun 2016 00:35:24 -0400, Martin Riddle

  Not likely.  Even the CRTs used less than the early ones.  So it got
easier not harder.

Re: Female IEC connectors on ATX power supplies

Especially the color monitor; that first RGB color display from IBM would
burn up if you left AC power on it when the PC was off.   As I recall, the
HSYNC signal was required to set timing on the switchmode supply.

More recently (1993?) Apple's ADC connector supplied power to the monitor only
when the computer was awake; it was kinda nice that the monitors didn't
need any AC socket, and power/DVI/USB/speaker wires were all one cable.

Re: Female IEC connectors on ATX power supplies

That's supposed to be (2003?) for the ADC connector.   There was a
big AV connector (HDI-45 or somesuch) in the nineties, but it wasn't ADC.

Re: Female IEC connectors on ATX power supplies

s/color/monochrome/

Re: Female IEC connectors on ATX power supplies

     The monochrome monitor first supplies with the five slot IBM PC
chassis (256KB of RAM, anyone) would catch fire without horizontal
drive. I saw it happen to a couple monitors, from people who didn't
believe that the monitor had to be switched off by the computer. That
same monitor was also used on one of IBM's word processors.  that was
where I ended up with the monitor.  To make matters worse, multiple
chassis were used, under the same model number. A trick the was popular
with General Electric TVs as well.

Re: Female IEC connectors on ATX power supplies
On Mon, 18 Jul 2016 06:20:52 -0400 "Michael A. Terrell"

256KB? They were only 4KB!

Re: Female IEC connectors on ATX power supplies
The PC-1 had 64K, iirc.

I used to mod the old monochrome/printer cards to make the parallel port
bidirectional.  Only took one wire.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

I think I mis-understood what Michael was saying. I thought he was
referring to the monochrome display card, not the MB ram. Sorry Michael.

Re: Female IEC connectors on ATX power supplies

    No problem. :)

Re: Female IEC connectors on ATX power supplies
    THAT wuz looong time ago...iffin eye 'meber right, one cut the trace
from a pin that went to ground. Donut askk whichhin one.

Re: Female IEC connectors on ATX power supplies

Early '90s, actually.  I had this bin full of old cards, and used to
build instruments that talked over PC parallel ports.  I sort of liked
it that way--using a 16-bit IOPL DLL, I could do direct port I/O from
user code in 32-bit OS/2.  I only had to write the DLL code once, and
used it for years, until I switched entirely to Linux about 2008.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

    Really? All I ever saw used 16Kb or 64Kb RAM.  I still have a half
dozen early motherboards out in the garage, somewhere.  I converted a
lot of 256 KB XT motherboards to 640 KB by adding the missing 74LS157
and soldering jumpers over the missing traces. Then I replaced the first
two banks of 64Kb of RAM with 256Kb RAM.

I repaired motherboards, video cards and floppy drives, back when they
had some value.

Re: Female IEC connectors on ATX power supplies

256K DRAMs were used in the PC-2 (5160), not the original PC.

That's wrong, too.  The smallest IBM 5150 was 16KB (1 bank of 9, 16Kx1
DRAMs).  The largest, motherboard memory only, was 64KB (4 banks of 9,
16Kx1 DRAMs).  It would do 720K, with later BIOS (though officially
only 640K).  Mine originally had 48K but I very quickly maxed it out.

Site Timeline