Magnavox RH8524 dead

Got an older projection TV that quit working. Power switch turns set on however that is it. No sound or picture. It is a NAP PTV300 chassis. I checked the HOT on the deflection board and it is ok. At this point, I'm thinking something on the power board is probably gone; perhaps the flyback. The plastic looks a bit melted and it smelled like burning plastic when the set quit. There are a number of areas that the manual describes as

*non-servicable*. Since replacement boards aren't readily available nor cost effective, how can I determine the flyback number and once it is replaced, adequately set the HV?

The crt coupling/cooling fluid also will probably require changing. How difficult is it to realign the set? Any "tricks of the trade". The deflection board is a later model and not covered in the service manual. It is a B10326 and the service manual indicates that this version of the board was used in the larger (56" vs 41") sets.

Thanks for any and all help offered...

Kirk S.

Reply to
Kirk S.

Translation: we're not going to tell you what it is because we want to control the repair/replacement market.

I pulled the number 362140-1 off a junk board, which crosses to new number 483514067162. If memory serves, this is the later version transformer, so hopefully will be the same one you have. The early version transformers had a screw-on HV lead that came off at an angle, were all junk, and are not available, thank God.

I've had good luck adjusting RP2 (remove the can to get at it) for about 180~190 Volts at TP14. I've never seen any sets, even new, go as high as the 210 the schematic shows. Expect about 110 Volts on the emitter of Q14 regulator (the big power resistor is a convenient test point).

Some folks like to suck the fluid out and clean without pulling the tubes from the frame, others get all huffy about this idea, but there are no boards under the tubes to drip on in these old sets, so it's a significant labor saver.

Fluid change doesn't usually affect convergence beyond what the user (static) controls can compensate, but of course these sets were a bit drifty anyway, so may need a bit of touch-up. Fortunately, the controls mostly do what they say. The problem is that you can't see the screen very well when you are close enough to turn the pots. Unless you have a 10 foot screwdriver, there's nothing for it but to go back and forth as long as it takes.

Reasonable color balance can often be restored by only tweaking the blue screen control, since the blue tube is driven hardest, burns out fastest, and grows the most crud. I've found that if you have to start from scratch, the procedure in the manual almost works, except that if you do things their way you always end up too dark. So after doing the jumper thing and setting the screen controls, give them all an equal sizable nudge upward. Then set the cutoffs and drives.

That number doesn't come up at all in Philips part seeker, but A10326 does. Yours may be some kind of universal replacement(?)

Reply to
Bill S.

Bill...

Thanks for the advice and the humor...

Kirk S.

Reply to
Kirk S.

Kirk,

Try this link, it will provide much information on chaning the coolant.

ing_CRT_Coolant_P15302/

Emilio

Reply to
Emilio