Tektronix TDS340, hard to turn on?

Hi, I just bought this tek and while it passes all the selftests, it's really flaky at startup. When you press the on/stby button the lights blink once , you can hear some relays switching and it goes dead. Then I keep pushing the button and eventually it "catches on" from then on it operates flawlesly. Sometimes it takes 3 tries sometimes ~30. Has anybody seen the simmilar problem (solution would be nice)? Thanks.

Reply to
janek77

"janek77" wrote in news:mH8Jf.42164$ snipped-for-privacy@news20.bellglobal.com:

It's old enough for the electrolytic caps ESR to be rising. Time to re-cap the power supply.Use 105DegF low-ESR caps.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

"Jim Yanik" bravely wrote to "All" (17 Feb 06 02:45:02) --- on the heady topic of "Re: Tektronix TDS340, hard to turn on?"

JY> From: Jim Yanik JY> Xref: core-easynews sci.electronics.repair:358540

JY> "janek77" wrote in JY> news:mH8Jf.42164$ snipped-for-privacy@news20.bellglobal.com:

JY> It's old enough for the electrolytic caps ESR to be rising. JY> Time to re-cap the power supply.Use 105DegF low-ESR caps.

Would it be too obvious if it might be an intermittant power switch.

A*s*i*m*o*v

Reply to
Asimov

I'd certainly check into that before replacing capacitors.

Reply to
Charles Schuler

I'm almost certain it's not a switch, to me it definitely looks like ps is trying to start , but it shuts down almost immediately on overcurrent of some sort. For now its merely annoing, if it gets any worse I'll try the caps. Thanks.

Reply to
janek77

"janek77" wrote in news:fTvJf.47294$ snipped-for-privacy@news20.bellglobal.com:

It could just be a single electrolytic,perhaps the housekeeping cap that supplies the switching control IC.I've seen PS's do just like you described and it was that one cap with a high ESR.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

For now it seems to be getting better, as I had it plugged in for last couple of days. I,m not rulling a "noisy pushbutton" completely out (yet), but to me it seems like that whatever cap is responsible it seems to be "forming" again. There two distinct possibilities:

1: "noisy" switch, which is getting better with use or 2: a cap thats getting "formed" after long discharge. Whats your pick?
Reply to
janek77

I'd suggest replacing the electrolytic caps in the power supply. I had to do that with my Tek 2225 before it would start behaving itself.

Reply to
Matt J. McCullar