Ma, I Broke The Plate!

Ignoring unrelieved stresses at the time of manufacture, the likely cause is thermal stress.

Contact the manufacturer.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

The other day I noticed that our microwave was sparking a bit. Then a few minutes after making some pop corn there was a loud thump sound that came from the microwave, but I didn't think about it until I went to heat up something: when I opened the microwave door, I saw the glass rotating plate had spilt into two-- almost perfectly down the middle. I couldn't have broken it that way if I had tried!

Does anyone know why the plate broke like that and if there's some place I can get a replacement for it? They are standardized, no? :-)

Ron

Reply to
Ron

Is there a complex moulded mount at the centre that would require moulding in 2 parts? If removeable plate perhaps someone heavy handed at using the carving knife, scored across and then thermal strsses in the uW

N_Cook

Hi!

It was probably heat related damage. These plates can get very hot while the microwave is in operation.

The plate itself is pretty well standardized. There are only so many ways to make a round glass plate, after all. :-)

What will be different between microwave makers is the way the plate is gripped by the turntable mechanism. There are usually some lumps of formed glass made into the bottom of the glass that are caught and driven by a simple gear.

A good appliance parts house should have the part, but the manufacturer should be contacted first.

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh

Do you have a local Freecycle group? Old microwaves are offered quite often. Just match the outer diameter.

You appear to be posting from Pennsylvania.

Offworld checks no longer accepted!
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

LoL I don't know why you'd think that but I'm a "webfoot"-- besides living in a near constant state of confusion, my home is lovely Oregon where I would be happy for some warm rain right now instead of this never-ending cold spell. Brrrrrrrr.... :-)

Ron

---------- "He tasks me! He tasks me, and I shall have him if I have to chase him 'round the Antares maelstrom and 'round the moons of Nibia and 'round Perdition's flames before I give him up!"

-- Kahn --

Reply to
Ron

The IP address you posted from is listed as being in Pennsylvania.

--
Offworld checks no longer accepted!
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Oy... I guess as that old song would say "how bizarre, how bizarre."

Ron

Reply to
Ron

I see more of these screwups as they shuffle the remaining IP4 addresses around, instead of implimenting IP6. IP addresses are running out, so it isn't a well organized system these days.

Here is the whois for 72.251.73.171

OrgName: Ad-Base Systems Inc. (DBA GlobalPOPS) OrgID: ASIDG Address: 8 Penn Center West Suite 101 City: Pittsburgh StateProv: PA PostalCode: 15276 Country: US

NetRange: 72.251.0.0 - 72.251.159.255 CIDR: 72.251.0.0/17, 72.251.128.0/19 NetName: AD-BASE-SYSTEMS NetHandle: NET-72-251-0-0-1 Parent: NET-72-0-0-0-0 NetType: Direct Allocation NameServer: NS1.SUPER-DNS.COM NameServer: NS2.SUPER-DNS.COM Comment: RegDate: 2006-09-08 Updated: 2009-05-15

RTechHandle: MTE17-ARIN RTechName: Teagarden, Matt RTechPhone: +1-412-697-0111 RTechEmail: ********@adbasesystems.com

OrgAbuseHandle: NOC2353-ARIN OrgAbuseName: Network Operations Center OrgAbusePhone: +1-800-732-2019 OrgAbuseEmail: *******@globalpops.com

OrgNOCHandle: GNO38-ARIN OrgNOCName: GlobalPOPs Network Ops OrgNOCPhone: +1-800-732-2019 OrgNOCEmail: *******@globalpops.com

OrgTechHandle: MTE17-ARIN OrgTechName: Teagarden, Matt OrgTechPhone: +1-412-697-0111 OrgTechEmail: ********@adbasesystems.com

And the IP lookup from DNSStuff

IP Information - 72.251.73.171 IP address: 72.251.73.171 Reverse DNS: node171.73.251.72.1dial.com. Reverse DNS authenticity: [Verified] ASN: 15206 ASN Name: MDSG-PACWEST IP range connectivity: 0 Registrar (per ASN): ARIN Country (per IP registrar): US [United States] Country Currency: USD [United States Dollars] Country IP Range: 72.192.0.0 to 72.255.255.255 Country fraud profile: Normal City (per outside source): Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania Country (per outside source): US [United States] Private (internal) IP? No IP address registrar: whois.arin.net Known Proxy? No Link for WHOIS: 72.251.73.171

--
Offworld checks no longer accepted!
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Oh-kay.... Isn't modern technology wonderful? :-)

_______ "Technology is the only tool that can never ever ever ever be trusted!"

-- Mighty Mouse --

Reply to
Ron

Yes, but some of the idiots using it, aren't...