Wayne Kerr 3245 inductance analyzer with bad deflection board

Repairing a Wayne Kerr 3245 inductance analyzer that has a bad CRT board. C311 located between the yoke connector and the flyback transformer is missing - judging from the capacitor "fuzz" all over the board it looks like it exploded. There are no remains inside the unit so I can't identify what the cap's value and voltage was, but it was a largish one about 3/4" in diameter that's in series with a heavy inductor and the yoke itself. The deflection board is marked: Computron 115DMX 36-138-01B. I do have a service manual, and it covers two different deflection boards, but of course neither one is close to the board in this unit. Emails to Wayne Kerr have been ignored for the most part.

I suppose someone has removed the part's remains, but never repaired the analyzer. Does anyone have any service data on this board or have one that they could take a look at to get the caps value? I believe that this monitor assembly was used in many other devices as well.

Thanks for any help.

Reply to
JW

So, can you reverse-engineer using the manuals? If the capacitor is part of the vertical-deflection circuitry, and the ICs that drive that vertical deflection match one of your service-manual examples, the component value should be easy to find. You may need to trace wires, of course.

In my experience, the big capacitor near the yoke connector is for vertical deflection...

Reply to
whit3rd
3245 inductance analyzer that has a bad CRT > > board. C311 located between the yoke connector and the flyback > > transformer is missing - judging from the capacitor "fuzz" all over the > > board it looks like it exploded. > > .... >
Reply to
jjke

transformer is missing - judging from the capacitor "fuzz" all over the >

board it looks like it exploded. There are no remains inside the unit so > I can't identify what the cap's value and voltage was, but it was a

Hi, JW. I just posted a response to your inquiry, but it appears that I posted it incorrecly. The correct post follows below:

"Hi, JW. I recently acquired a 3245 inductance analyzer. The capacitor you are referring is a 47 uF/50V electrolytic. It appears to be non-polaryzed, as I can not see any polarity mark.

In my 3245, this capacitor gets warm after several minutes of operation. So I think I will replace the capacitor for a new one, to prevent it to cause any damage in the future.

I hope this information is useful to you. Also, if you have the operation and or service manuals for the analyzer I would like to have a copy, if you can email or copy (I would pay the duplication cost, if any). "

Reply to
jjke

Hi jjke,

Unfortunately, I no longer work for the company where I was working on the unit. They still have the hard copy manual, so I'm afraid I can't help you. Thanks for the reply, though.

We did purchase the manual direct from Wayne Kerr, I'm sure they'll sell you one if you need it.

Reply to
JW