Vtech 6053 cordless phone

The answering machine portion of this 3 handset DECT phone is unresponsive. I'd be happy to just turn it "off" but it is stuck "on." A simple reset from the handset did not work. The base [and handsets] have 2 rows of gold plated dots [handset battery compartment is 1/2 X 1/4 inch grid, base is slightly larger but accessible through holes in back] that would appear to be a service port of sorts. Anyone know if these could be used to fix or disable the answering machine? Thanks.

Reply to
John Keiser

The answering machine message memory might be full. Try emptying the old messages from memory.

Otherwise, try a grand reset.

You should reset the telephone system. Complete the following steps: Step 1: Disconnect the power from the telephone base.

Step 2: Disconnect the battery pack from the handset(s).

Step 3: Wait 5 minutes, then reconnect the power to the telephone base.

Step 4: Connect the battery pack to the handset(s) and install the battery cover. Wait several seconds for the handset(s) to link with the base.

Step 5: At the handset, reset the Date and Time.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Jeff, "0" messages appear. I had tried the grand reset to no avail. Was hoping for an even grander reset. :) Phones function well enough. Mostly curious about the service "port" as I my old stand alone answering machine is working compatibly at the moment. Thank you.

Reply to
John Keiser

Oh well. So much for the easy fixes.

My guess(tm) is that it's a JTAG port used to load firmware and initialized (serialize) the phone. I did some Googling but didn't find anything specific for Vtech DECT phones. If you succeed in finding or building an RS-232 converter for interfacing to the port, you'll probably find a rather primitive command set, no help, no menus, and cryptic commands and incantations. It will also lack any easy way to recover from mistakes. Y're welcome to try it, but methinks it's not worth the effort. However, you might want to open the base and inspect the base for crappy soldering.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Ah! Yes, they are likely JTAG ports. Beyond my ability to tinker with. Solder joints "looked" ok when I opened the base but there is a flex cable connector I may explore in the interest of good fun. Thanks.

Reply to
John Keiser